Charles Barkley Responds to Shams Charania MVP Announcement Controversy
The 2025-26 NBA MVP award announcement took place on Sunday night, airing on Amazon Prime Video.
But, the NBA world already knew Shai Gilgeous-Alexander was the league’s MVP well before that announcement went live.
On Sunday morning, ESPN NBA insider Shams Charania leaked the news that SGA had won his second consecutive NBA MVP trophy. His report sparked controversy around the sport, with some saying he “spoiled” the surprise.
During a recent interview on the “SI Media” podcast, Charles Barkley weighed in with his thoughts on the matter.
“I like [Charania] a lot, but I didn’t like that leaking,” Barkley said. “That network paid $2.5 billion for the next 11 years. … I think the NBA should be embarrassed that that got out. You cant’s charge these networks that much money and then don’t get them some exclusive on some things. I just think that’s unfair.”
More Basketball:NBA Announces Two International Matchups Between Spurs, Pelicans in 2027
Charania addressed the controversy during an appearance on “The Pat McAfee Show” earlier this week.
“This is a massive story. When I get it, I vet it. My job is to report the news, that’s all I focus on,” Charania said. “I’m just going to try to do my job to the best of my ability.”
More Basketball:Kenny Atkinson Has Blunt Response When Asked About Benching James Harden
Gilgeous-Alexander and the Oklahoma City Thunder notched a Western Conference Finals victory over the San Antonio Spurs in Game 2, tying the series at 1-1.
2026 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.
This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 8:10 AM.