Sports

Joey Chestnut Will Return To 2026 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest

Few things go together like the Fourth of July and the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest.

Joey Chestnut, the most successful competitive eater in United States history, has dominated the hot dog eating contest for the past decade-plus. However, a recent arrest put his future in the competition in doubt. Chestnut was accused of slapping a man in the face during a night out at a bar in Indiana.

The hot dog eating star entered a guilty plea April 20 and was sentenced to 180 days of probation in Hamilton County. However, a judge has recently granted Chestnut the ability to leave the state, which means he can compete in the Nathan's Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest.

Chestnut will defend his title this summer.

 NEW YORK, USA - JULY 04: Joey Chestnut won first place eating 63 hot dogs in 10 minutes during the men 2022 Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest at Maimonides Park of Coney Island in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, United States on July 4, 2022. (Photo by Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)
NEW YORK, USA - JULY 04: Joey Chestnut won first place eating 63 hot dogs in 10 minutes during the men 2022 Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest at Maimonides Park of Coney Island in the Brooklyn borough of New York City, United States on July 4, 2022. (Photo by Tayfun Coskun/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images) Anadolu/Getty Images

The Associated Press broke the news on Thursday.

"Competitive eater Joey Chestnut, the reigning champion and 17-time winner of the Nathan's Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest, will compete in the July 4 spectacle while on probation after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge," they reported.

Chestnut will not be facing discipline from Major League Eating over the arrest, either.

Details emerge from Chestnut's off-field troubles

Chestnut's lawyer said that the incident was truly a misunderstanding.

"It truly was just a misunderstanding," Massillamany told The Associated Press. "Joey understood that he wanted to accept responsibility for his actions, and he did."

Meanwhile, Major League Eating said that Chestnut did not violate its code of conduct.

"This incident did not violate Major League Eating's code of conduct, as it occurred outside any organizational event or activity and it was addressed by local authorities," Shea said.

Chestnut won last year's competition by eating 70.5 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes.

Copyright The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 6:52 AM.

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW