Sports

Update: Tri-City Ams player knocked unconscious during hockey fight released from hospital

Tri-City Americans defenseman Terrell Goldsmith was released from the hospital late Wednesday after being knocked out during a fight at Tuesday night’s game.

The 19-year-old was released from the hospital and was resting at home, said a message posted Thursday to Facebook by the team.

Goldsmith and Seattle’s Ashton Cumby dropped their gloves to fight early in the second period on Tuesday night in the Toyota Center with Seattle leading 2-0.

Goldsmith took a hit to the face and dropped to the ice, unconscious.

Trainers for both teams and doctors raced out onto the ice to attend to Goldsmith, who was eventually taken off the ice on a backboard and put into an ambulance.

Goldsmith gave the crowd an encouraging thumbs up as he was taken off the ice.

Players from both teams were visibly upset and shaken, including Cumby — who put his hands to his face in dismay as Goldsmith went down.

The game was delayed 20 minutes as officials from both teams discussed among themselves and with Western Hockey League officials if the contest should proceed.

The WHL announced the suspension of the game soon after. It will be either replayed or resumed at a later date.

Americans officials could not be reached Wednesday but they released a statement on their Facebook account on Wednesday that said he was in the hospital under observation but had been “awake, responsive and in good spirits” on Tuesday evening.

Another update was posted Thursday morning.

“He will continue to be monitored by the Americans medical staff. The Tri-City Americans sincerely thank everyone for their kind words and support of Goldsmith over the past few days,” it said.

Terrell Goldsmith
Terrell Goldsmith Courtesy Tri-City Americans

Hundreds of fans from all over the WHL sent Goldsmith and the Americans good wishes and prayers on social media on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Goldsmith has had a strong season this season for Tri-City, since being acquired in a trade last summer with Prince Albert.

In 56 games this season, the 6-foot-4, 218-pound defenseman has had his best season in the WHL, scoring 4 goals and 12 assists for 16 points.

He’s part of the reason the team has already qualified for the WHL playoffs for the first time since 2023.

With six regular-season games remaining on the Tri-City schedule, the Americans are currently slotted at No. 7 out of the possible eight Western Conference playoff positions.

However, Tri-City could get as high as fifth in the standings.

Meanwhile, Seattle currently has the No. 8 spot in the standings with six games remaining. The T-Birds have 55 points, while Wenatchee is ninth with 52 points, and Kamloops 10th with 49 points.

All of this means the league is likely to have Tuesday night’s game either resumed or replayed.

Jeff Morrow is former sports editor for the Tri-City Herald.

This story was originally published March 12, 2025 at 5:47 PM.

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW