Tri-Cities transit board calls closed meeting to review CEO investigation
The investigation into alleged financial misconduct by the CEO of the Tri-Cities’ transit agency appears to be complete.
The Ben Franklin Transit board will review an investigation report and findings in executive session at a special meeting on Thursday before their regular monthly meeting.
They are expected to take action on the findings after the closed-door executive session, according to the meeting agenda.
While the agenda doesn’t list the nature of the report, BFT legal counsel Jeremy Bishop previously told the board the investigation into CEO Thomas Drozt would be ready for their review for the April meeting.
The specially scheduled session begins at 4:30 p.m., with the regular monthly meeting starting at 6 p.m. at 1000 Columbia Park Trail. The meetings are also broadcast online via Zoom.
Drozt told the Herald in an email that while he could not comment on specifics, he believes a full review of the circumstances will show he followed agency policy.
“While I cannot comment on the specifics of the executive session, I want to be clear that I have fully cooperated with the process and remain confident that a complete and objective review of the facts will demonstrate that my actions were appropriate and in the best interest of the organization,” Drozt wrote.
“I believe it is important that any reporting reflects the full context of the situation, and not just selective portions, as there is significantly more to this matter than what has been presented publicly to date.”
Financial investigation
The investigation began earlier this year after Bishop found an outside law firm to investigate claims against Drozt made by the agency’s former finance leader Alex Smith.
Smith sent a letter to the board with allegations of wrongdoing covering a variety of spending after he resigned at the end of October.
Since then a number of other allegations were made by current and former employees, as well as the union representing bus drivers.
The investigation was expected to address only Smith’s financial claims.
The Washington state Auditor’s Office is also looking into credit card spending and two contracts Drozt approved involving a family member and a former colleague who was convicted of a sex crime.
Drozt has denied any wrongdoing and told the Herald that his decisions aligned with the agency’s policies.