World

Ebola Alert Issued by CDC: New Restrictions and Screenings for Travelers

The United States government has imposed new health restrictions requiring all travelers who have recently been in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan to enter the country exclusively through Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) for enhanced Ebola screening. The mandate applies to all U.S.-bound American citizens and lawful permanent residents who were present in any of the three countries within the past 21 days, according to a State Department advisory issued Thursday.

The screenings will be conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP), which are deploying additional personnel and health protocols at Dulles. Officials warned that travelers should be prepared for possible flight changes or cancellations as airlines adjust routes to comply with the new entry requirement.

Airports Authority: ‘Not Expecting Significant Impacts'

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority told Newsweek it is already coordinating with federal agencies to support the expanded health measures.

"The Airports Authority is working with federal partners to support efforts led by the Centers for Disease Control affecting various international flights arriving at Dulles Airport. This includes providing staff and public safety resources as needed. We are not expecting any significant impacts on airport customers," the authority said.

The reassurance comes as Dulles becomes the nation's sole processing point for travelers arriving from the affected region.

Outbreak Spreads in Eastern Congo as WHO Declares Global Emergency

The restrictions follow a rapidly expanding Ebola outbreak in eastern DRC, where health officials confirmed a new case in South Kivu-hundreds of miles from the initial epicenter in Ituri and North Kivu. Rebel authorities in the region said a 28‑year‑old patient died after traveling from Kisangani, while a second suspected case remains in isolation.

The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak a public health emergency of international concern after confirming more than 600 suspected cases and at least 139 deaths. Additional infections have been reported in Uganda, and a case was confirmed last week in Goma, a major urban center under M23 control.

Experts warn the known caseload likely understates the true spread. Jane Halton, chair of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), said confirmed infections may represent only "the top of the iceberg."

Aid Shortfalls and Conflict Complicate Containment Efforts

Health workers say the response has been hampered by shortages of basic supplies, ongoing armed conflict, and the virus's spread into densely populated areas. Foreign aid cuts have weakened local surveillance systems, leaving responders without essential equipment.

The United States, which contributed roughly $600 million during the 2018–2020 Ebola crisis, has so far committed $23 million to the current outbreak and pledged support for up to 50 clinics in DRC and Uganda. Ugandan officials criticized the U.S. travel restrictions, calling them an overreaction and insisting the country has the capacity to contain isolated cases.

State Department Issues Separate Worldwide Security Alert

Alongside the health advisory, the State Department issued a global caution urging Americans, especially those in the Middle East, to exercise increased vigilance amid threats to U.S. diplomatic facilities and periodic airspace closures. Travelers were encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) and monitor updates from nearby embassies and consulates.

2026 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.

This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 6:56 AM.

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW