River on the rise again as Benton and WA officials estimate flood damage
AI-generated summary reviewed by our newsroom.
- Yakima River surged again; officials expect minor flooding and road closures.
- WA state and Benton County mobilize funds, damage assessments; federal help under review
- Benton reports vehicle, building and infrastructure damage; no homes lost.
A second surge of Yakima River flooding in the Tri-Cities area is under way, even as cleanup efforts for the first wave of damage continue.
One eastbound lane of Van Giesen Street remains closed between Richland and West Richland as water still covered the pavement.
That portion of Van Giesen, which is part of Highway 224, is expected to remain diverted for a few days. But the Washington State Department of Transportation says there is no serious damage, just some minor erosion that can be repaired.
A second, smaller atmospheric river hit the Cascade Mountains earlier this week. The weather system dumped rain and melted mountain snow into the Yakima River.
This time, the river is not expected to crest as high. It’s predicted to hit about 13.3 feet at the Kiona-Benton City gage about 10 p.m. Saturday, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Last Saturday, Dec. 13, it hit 16 feet – the highest mark in nearly 30 years.
Deanna Davis, manager for Benton County Emergency Management, said the river could reach minor flooding levels and send water across more roads in the area. Several roads have not reopened after the last surge.
In Benton City, the river has receded around the flooded Beach RV Park, exposing an access road damaged by the water, social media posts show.
Badger Canyon RV co-owner Justin Marshall previously said they were waiting for the second surge to ease before moving people back.
Estimating damages
Gov. Bob Ferguson and the Benton County commissioners have declared the flooding an emergency, opening up state funding to use on repairs.
Benton County Commissioner Jerome Delvin said governor’s office and other state agencies are offering whatever help counties need to deal with the impacts.
U.S. Sen. Maria Cantwell’s office also has contacted Benton County emergency officials to see if federal emergency funding will be needed.
At the moment, officials are still trying to get a full picture of the damage, which has been far worse in Western Washington. No homes were lost in Benton County, but floodwater has damaged vehicles and buildings and debris has clogged culverts.
Benton County is asking anyone affected to fill out a damage assessment form.
“We’re collecting as much information as we can ... so we can tell the story about the impacts to our area, so we can get some help” Davis said. However, submitting a form doesn’t guarantee a payment for uncompensated damages.
Statewide, the Department of Social and Health Services opened a $1 million in assistance for flood victims if they need help with housing or medical needs between Dec. 17 and Jan. 15.
The money is meant to cover food, shelter, clothing, minor medical care, utilities or household maintenance supplies needed because of the flooding.
“We are doing everything we can as a state to support people through this crisis,” Ferguson said in a news release. “This is one part of that work. We will bring more state resources online in the coming days as we continue to work toward federal relief.”
This story was originally published December 17, 2025 at 5:48 PM.