Hanford worker dies 11 days after head-on crash with teen driver. He was the 2nd to die

Here’s what the Washington State Patrol does

The Washington State Patrol is the state police agency for Washington.
Up Next
The Washington State Patrol is the state police agency for Washington.

A Hanford worker has died from injuries he suffered in a crash Aug. 1 when he and his wife were driving to work.

Kenneth “Ross” Crawford, 65, of Mesa, died at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle at 12:30 p.m. Monday, according to the Washington State Patrol.

He was the second person in the crash to die.

The Criminal Investigation Division of the state patrol continues to investigate, with no charges filed as of Monday.

Crawford, who worked on the crane and rigging team for Mission Support Alliance at the Hanford nuclear reservation, and his wife, Karen Crawford, 62, were driving to work that day. She works for MSA as a safety engineer.

They were a month from retiring, according to Mission Support Alliance officials.

The Crawfords were on Highway 24 close to the Vernita Bridge over the Columbia River when their car was hit by an oncoming car shortly after 5 a.m. Aug. 1.

Felix Rangel Diaz, 18, of Mattawa, was driving a Honda Fit northeast on the highway across the Hanford Reach National Monument.

Witnesses said he kept trying to pass traffic on the two-lane road that runs through south Grant County, north Benton County and into Adams County.

Kenneth “Ross” Crawford volunteers at a Mission Support Alliance charitable project. He was a fixture at many of the Hanford contractor’s volunteer event. Courtesy Mission Support Alliance

He was about 16 miles east of Mattawa when he tried to pass a semi truck, according to WSP investigators.

His Honda hit the Crawfords’ Chrysler PT Cruiser, which was headed southwest.

The Honda burst into flames and Diaz’s passenger, Gisella Morales, 15, of Mattawa, died before she could be taken to a hospital.

Both of the Crawfords were initially flown to Kadlec Regional Medical Center in Richland and then transferred to Harborview. Karen Crawford remains at Harborview and was in satisfactory condition on Monday.

Diaz was taken to the Richland hospital by ambulance and was discharged from Kadlec on Aug. 7.

Ross Crawford was a fixture at many of the MSA volunteer events, his employer posted on social media.

Donations to help with the Crawford family expenses may be made at Numerica Credit Union to “The Karen and Ross Crawford Donation Account.”