In January 1954, construction was under way of the blue bridge.
As the huge steel span from the Pasco bank of the Columbia River stretched toward the Kennewick side, workers turned their effort toward the second section.
Work progressed rapidly — except for five or six days lost due to cold weather — and the spans joined mid-stream a month later.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.