Local

State steps up fight against coronavirus as death toll hits 16. Second case in Eastern WA

Note: The Tri-City Herald and McClatchy news sites have lifted the paywall on our websites for this developing story, providing critical information to readers. To support vital reporting such as this, please consider a digital subscription.

The novel coronavirus death toll climbed to 16 in the state of Washington on Saturday with cases now in two Eastern Washington counties, as the state stepped up efforts to fight the virus.

The state Legislature has passed emergency funding, more testing has been made available, an incident command post has been set up for nursing homes with coronavirus outbreaks and a state task force is identifying help for businesses impacted by the outbreak.

The most recently announced of 103 cases in the state is in Kittitas County.

All but one of the 16 deaths confirmed by the Washington state Department of Health on Saturday were people who died in King County. The other death was in Snohomish County, just north of Seattle.

Most of the cases are in King County, but 27 are in Snohomish and five other counties had a single case each — Grant, Jefferson, Pierce Clark and now Kittitas.

The Kittitas case is a woman, 67, who was seen at a local clinic and had a positive test result from the University of Washington. The state Department of Health is confirming the results.

A Grant County case is the only other confirmed to date in Eastern Washington. A Quincy resident in their 80s was hospitalized in critical condition in Wenatchee.

Oregon has had seven people test positive for coronavirus on preliminary tests. One confirmed case was a Umatilla County man who worked at Wildhorse Casino and Resort in Pendleton is recovering. The casino and resort closed for 48 hours for a deep cleaning.

Emergency funding

State and federal lawmakers have passed emergency funding to support agencies’ response to the coronavirus.

Congress passed an $8.3 billion federal supplemental spending bill, which included $300 million to reimburse local governments for immediate response, $1 billion for medical supplies like masks and personal protection equipment and pharmaceuticals, and $3 billion for research and development of a vaccine.

Washington state will immediately receive $11.5 million for public health agencies.

Congressman Derek Kilmer, D-Wash., said Friday there will also be a $1 billion loan made available to help small businesses, like shellfish growers and trade-dependent manufacturers who have been financially impacted by the coronavirus outbreak.

Life Care update

The Seattle-King County Health Department has announced that there are 15 new coronavirus patients being transferred out of the Life Care facility in Kirkland, a Seattle suburb.

Following complaints from patients’ loved ones, Gov. Jay Inslee said the state would set up an incident command post specifically for long-term care facilities.

The state is working with Life Care to allow family members to take their loved ones home if possible. The state would help provide enough equipment for those who are not infected and need care that can be provided at home, King County Executive Dow Constantine said.

The Seattle-King County Health Department sent in a University of Washington doctor to report on the conditions of the facility.

He said the facility is immaculate and the clinical support staff is working as one would expect, but there are some signs of stress. The patients appear to be well-cared for, the health department’s Patty Hayes said.

A task force of 30 physicians, nurse practitioners and registered nurses are expected to land in Washington to help relieve Life Care staff.

Fourteen of the people who have died in the state were associated with Life Care Center in Kirkland.

The New York Times reported that one of the woman who died at the nursing home was Twila Morin, 85, who previously lived in Kennewick.

Her daughter Debbie de los Angeles told The New York Times that her mother, who had dementia, at one time had worked as a bookkeeper and had halted an embezzlement scheme.

Testing

The University of Washington’s lab has reportedly performed about 400 tests for the virus.

There has been a “consistent positivity rate of 5-7 percent among specimens submitted to the lab,” a UW virology tweet said. The tweet also said the lab is able to meet all current testing demands with capacity for over 1,000 tests per day.

Tests in the state previously had only been done by the Washington state Department of Health lab, which was running about 200 a day.

Testing had been limited to the sickest patients, but Tuesday, Vice President Mike Pence said any American could be tested if a doctor deemed it necessary.

UW and WSU

Classes continue as usual at Washington State University Tri-Cities, but in-person classes for students at the University of Washington are canceled starting Monday for the remainder of the winter quarter.

A university staff member who works in Roosevelt Commons East has received an initial positive test for COVID-19.

The classroom policy is a way to increase precautionary health measures, such as “social distancing,” or the amount of face-to-face contact people have in public places, the university posted on line.

Instructors are asked to conduct classes and final exams remotely, if possible. If the nature of the class prevents remote learning or tests via computers, other options may be used, such as submitting grades based on work so far in the quarter.

UW campuses will remain open for those who still need services, including hospitals and clinics, dining halls, residents halls, and recreation and athletics facilities.

However, Roosevelt Commons East has closed for cleaning and some coworkers of the infected staff member are being asked to stay home for 14 days.

Husky athletic events will continue as usual.

Normal classes are planned to resume when the spring quarter begins March 30, if public health officials agree it is the best choice.

Washington State University is holding classes as usual, except for at the Everett campus and the Everett University Center.

Their facilities were closed until Monday for a deep cleaning after a student at nearby Everett Community College tested positive for COVID-19.

Resources for businesses

Washington state businesses may be able to get an extension on filing state excise tax returns if they are impacted by the coronavirus.

The COVID-19 Econmnic Retention and Recovery Task Force convened by Inslee has complied a list of resources for businesses and workers impacted by the novel coronavirus at bit.ly/COVID19BizHelp.

Not only are extensions possible for excise tax returns, but the state can help with payment plans and under certain conditions may waive late payment penalties, according to information compiled by the task force.

The state also is offering help for companies hurt by difficulties exporting products because of COVID-19.

The state Department of Commerce can help identify alternative markets and provide vouchers to defray the cost of trade shows, airfare, interpreter and translation services, business matchmaking, export training programs and more.

The Small Business Administration’s Export Working Capital Program can help small businesses obtain capital advances from lenders on export orders or letters of credit.

The Washington State Insurance Commissioner can answer questions about insurance coverage for damages related to COVID-19.

Coverage usually requires an additional endorsement to the policy for communicable disease, which may be difficult to obtain during the coronavirus outbreak.

This story was originally published March 7, 2020 at 12:31 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Full coverage of coronavirus in Washington

AC
Annette Cary
Tri-City Herald
Senior staff writer Annette Cary covers Hanford, energy, the environment, science and health for the Tri-City Herald. She’s been a news reporter for more than 30 years in the Pacific Northwest. Support my work with a digital subscription
Josephine Peterson
The News Tribune
Josephine Peterson covers Pierce County government news for The News Tribune.
Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW