Local

2 Kennewick businesses evacuated after high carbon monoxide readings

What to do if you smell natural gas

Use these safety tips from Ameren Illinois if you smell natural gas in your home.
Up Next
Use these safety tips from Ameren Illinois if you smell natural gas in your home.

High carbon monoxide levels triggered an evacuation of two businesses in a busy Canal Drive shopping center.

Officials believe a cleaning crew using propane-powered equipment Thursday night in Michaels didn’t ventilate the building well enough, said Mark Hanson, with Cascade Natural Gas.

That carbon monoxide filtered into PetSmart Friday morning, leaving a bad odor at the 6807 W. Canal Drive business. When firefighters checked, they found high levels of the dangerous gas.

They found similar levels next door at Michaels and evacuated the stores, said Battalion Chief Kevin Crowley. The firefighters also brought out the animals that were inside as well.

The carbon monoxide levels inside were high enough they could potentially be dangerous, he said.

It took about two hours to air out the store. With help from Cascade Natural Gas, they made sure there was no other signs of the gas was coming into the building.

They called Cascade Natural Gas to the area as a precaution and to investigate.

Cameron Probert covers breaking news and education for the Tri-City Herald, where he tries to answer readers’ questions about why police officers and firefighters are in your neighborhood. He studied communications at Washington State University.
  Comments