Local

Pasco ends ban on fireworks after 22 years


Families gather to the watch the Grand Old 4th Fireworks display at Gesa Stadium in Pasco.
Families gather to the watch the Grand Old 4th Fireworks display at Gesa Stadium in Pasco. Tri-City Herald file

Pasco has decided its cold turkey approach to fireworks isn't working.

This week, the city council voted 6-0 to lift its 22-year ban on personal fireworks. The council said it needs to redraw the line between "safe and sane" fireworks that stay on the ground and illegal ones that fly in the air.

The city's move revives the perennial Mid-Columbia debate about the use of fireworks in a hot, dry climate.

In lifting its ban, Pasco joins Richland and West Richland in allowing limited personal use. But bans remain in effect for Franklin County and the cities of Kennewick and Prosser.

Franklin County isn't considering following Pasco's lead, but commission Chairman Brad Peck predicted it will be asked to discuss it.

Kennewick encourages residents to attend the River of Fire community display at Columbia Park instead.

Last year, the Richland City Council declined a request by its code enforcement board to ban fireworks. The mayor called fireworks bans unenforceable.

Pasco officials tend to agree.

Mayor Matt Watkins said the council believes that by lifting the ban, public safety will improve over the Independence Day holiday.

Allowing low-risk fireworks will let police to focus on the high risk ones that soar into the air, the mayor and Police Chief Bob Metzger said.

"They are overwhelmed with the kind of calls they get," Watkins said, calling 2018 an experiment of sorts. "We're going to see how it goes."

Metzger proposed the move in February, saying the redone ban lets officers focus on illegal and irresponsible activity.

"We don't want to go up to some kid with a sparkler and say, 'You can't have a sparkler,'" he said.

Fire Chief Bob Gear said he's long been bothered by the city's inability to enforce the ban.

"This is an effort to see if we allow reasonable fireworks, if it will reduce the use of illegal fireworks," he said.

In a related move, the council authorized the sale of fireworks in the city. The move will have limited effect for 2018, as businesses selling fireworks had to secure a license from the state by May 1.

Griggs Department Store has licenses for several stands outside of Pasco. Charlie Griggs said he will shift one of the licensed stands to the family's Pasco store.

"It will be nice to have it out front again," he said.

In the future, would-be fireworks sellers will have to pay a $40 business license fee and $75 fire inspection fee.

Watkins also confirmed that Pasco will continue to display fireworks during the Grand Old 4th celebration at Gesa Stadium.

A year ago, Gear raised concerns that the airborne fireworks could set off fire in the rapidly developing area. The city solved the issue by reducing the size of the mortars it uses in the show.

The new rules allow the sale and use of personal fireworks such as fountains, spinners, wheels, smoke devices, sparklers and other items considered "safe and sane" under state law.

Fireworks may only be sold between June 28 and July 5 and Dec. 31 and Jan 1 to those age 16 and older.

Editor's note: This story has been corrected to state that West Richland does not ban fireworks.

Wendy Culverwell: 509-582-1514

This story was originally published May 22, 2018 at 5:56 PM with the headline "Pasco ends ban on fireworks after 22 years."

Get one year of unlimited digital access for $159.99
#ReadLocal

Only 44¢ per day

SUBSCRIBE NOW