Legendary Italian Restaurant Closing After 93 Years
It's never easy to say goodbye to a local food staple, but it's a reality becoming all-too-common in this day and age. Sadly, residents in the MetroWest area of Massachusetts are preparing for the closure of Carbone's Restaurant in Hopkinton.
Originally opened in 1933 by Italian immigrants Ana and Cesare Carboni, Carbone's has been a staple in the region for 93 years. However, owner Mary Ann Lorentzen told Mass Live that the venerable eatery will shut down for good on June 27.
The end--for real this time
Lorentzen and her brother and co-owner Peter Carbone are looking to retire, she told Mass Live. It was previously reported in 2020 that Carbone's would close, but in March 2021, ownership decided to keep the restaurant open in hopes of finding a buyer.
"Mary Ann and Peter (brother and sister) are understandably ready to retire, but this one will leave a mark for the many patrons and families who have enjoyed their food for most of their lives," a Reddit poster wrote this week. "They are a fantastic, hard-working family who have dedicated their lives to this restaurant and the surrounding communities. A place where families and friends have gathered to enjoy scrumpy, old-school Italian food for decades, and they employed a staff who have been a tight-knit bunch, most who have worked there for many years - which says alot about Mary Ann and Peter. They run a tight ship - always courteous and professional. They all will be missed by so, so many."
Remembering a community fixture
Carbone's has made its business selling "Italian-American classics based on old family recipes, as well as American fare," according to the official restaurant website.
The menu includes over a dozen different pasta options, along with beef, chicken, veal and seafood dishes, plus other staples.
"Love it or hate it, I grew up in the 80's in this area and most of the Italian restaurant food was just like this, and exactly why they have the loyal clientele they do," one Reddit commenter added. "I love their food because that is the type of Italian food I grew up with; the majority of their patrons on the love it side are also on the older side. But, I definitely see the younger generations rejecting this food altogether - they want healthier, cleaner, lighter, and more transparent choices, and I certainly can applaud that. This place is not one of those."
"I thought they closed for good a couple times in the last decade or so… I'll have to stop by if it's for real this time," another person wrote.
This story was originally published by Men's Journal on May 21, 2026, where it first appeared in the News section. Add Men's Journal as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
2026 The Arena Group Holdings, Inc. All rights reserved.
This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 9:16 AM.