The PUREX plant in the center of the Hanford Site was built in the 1950s and was operated from 1956 to 1972 and again from 1983 until 1988.
The PUREX plant in the center of the Hanford Site was built in the 1950s and was operated from 1956 to 1972 and again from 1983 until 1988. Courtesy DOE
The PUREX plant in the center of the Hanford Site was built in the 1950s and was operated from 1956 to 1972 and again from 1983 until 1988. Courtesy DOE

DOE fined $16,000 for ‘mystery powder’ at Hanford

August 31, 2017 12:54 PM

UPDATED August 31, 2017 06:51 PM

More Videos

  • Workers take down Plutonium Reclamation Facility Canyon

    This video from November shows demolition of the north wall of the canyon, allowing heavy equipment to begin removing strong backs from the walls. Strong backs are brackets from which pencil-shaped processing tanks once hung. It also shows the array of dust suppression tools, each spraying water from a different angle to help control radiological contamination during demolition.