A man burned by hot grease walked next door to get help Tuesday.
Luckily, his neighbor is Kennewick Fire Department Station 5.
Firefighters were surprised when the man living next to the newly opened South Kellogg Street station walked in about 11:30 a.m. asking for help.
Some tended to his burns while others rushed to his house with fire extinguishers, said Battalion Chief Mike Barnett.
Never miss a local story.
The damage was kept to the stove and an exhaust fan.
The man was apparently injured when he tried to carry hot grease outside after the fire. He was taken to Trios Southridge Hospital for more treatment.
Barnett said people should never carry grease until it is cool and always have a fire extinguisher rated for grease fires in the house.
He said it’s not that unusual to have business walk in the door.
“We get a lot of walk-ins, actually, where they come in when they need help,” he said.