DOHA, Qatar -- Dave Villwock trimmed into the points lead of Steve David by becoming the fastest qualifier and posting a 143.249 mph lap speed at the Oryx Cup UIM World Championship on Thursday in Doha, Qatar.
Villwock and the U-96 Spirit of Qatar team now trails David and the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto team by 168 points going into today's two rounds of heats on Doha Bay.
David's Oberto ran a 142.059-mph lap to finish as the second-fastest qualifier, while Jeff Bernard in the U-5 Formulaboats.com posted a 138.795 mph run.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1. U-96, Spirit of Qatar, Dave Villwock, 143.249 mph
2. U-1, Oh Boy! Oberto/Miss Madison, Steve David, 142.059 mph
3. U-5, Formulaboats.com, Jeff Bernard, 138.795 mph
4. U-7, Graham Trucking, J. Michael Kelly, 137.891 mph
5. U-17, Miss Red Dot, Kip Brown, 136.348 mph.
6. U-100, Leland Racing, Greg Hopp, 134.539 mph
7. U-25, Superior Racing/Spirit of Detroit, Ken Muscatel, 133.091 mph
8. U-21, Go Fast, Turn Left Racing Presents Lakeridge Paving, Brian Perkins, 128.617 mph
9. U-37, Miss Peters & May, JW Myers, 125.825 mph
10. U-22, Great Scott!, Mike Webster, 120.856 mph.