DOHA, Qatar -- Steve David won two heats Friday at the Oryx Cup UIM World Championship in Doha, Qatar, increasing his chances of claiming a third consecutive national high points title.
David and the U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto team saw their lead grow to 566 points after Dave Villwock, running in the U-96 Spirit of Qatar boat, spun out in the day's first heat.
Villwock came back to win the third heat.
J. Michael Kelly, in the U-7 Graham Trucking boat, also picked up a heat victory.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Tri-City Herald
The Oryx Cup final will run at 4 a.m. today.
Oryx Cup World Championship
In Doha, Qatar
1. Steve David, U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto, 128.074 mph
2. Jeff Bernard, U-5 Formulaboats.com, 122.335
3. JW Myers, U-37 Miss Peters & May, 105.394
4. Ken Muscatel, U-25 Superior Racing, 113.724
5. Al Christensen, U-22 Great Scott!, 119.146
1. J. Michael Kelly, Graham Trucking, 127.679
2. Kip Brown, U-17 Our Gang Racing, 108.939
3. Greg Hopp, U-100 Leland Unlimited, 79.768
4. Brian Perkins, U-21 Go Fast, Turn Left Racing, 77.348
5. Dave Villwock, U-96 Spirit of Qatar, DNF
1. Dave Villwock, U-96 Spirit of Qatar, 128.127
2. J. Michael Kelly, U-7 Graham Trucking, 126.496
3. Greg Hopp, U-100 Leland Unlimited, 126.333
4. Brian Perkins, Go Fast, Turn Left Racing, 110.751
5. Al Christensen, U-22, Great Scott!, 104.288
1. Steve David, U-1 Oh Boy! Oberto, 130.192
2. Jeff Bernard, U-5 Formulaboats.com, 124.431
3. JW Myers, U-37Miss Peters & May, 108.314
4. Jon Zimmerman, U-25 Superior Racing/Spirit of Detroit, DNF
5. Kip Brown, U-17 Miss Red Dot, DNS