Tri-City Dust Devils

Trio shared CPR save at Dust Devils game

PASCO -- The Spokane Indians may have picked up a big win over the Tri-City Dust Devils at Gesa Stadium on Thursday, but Donna Furlong, Peggy Henry and Gene Tolley ended up with an even bigger save.

When Grace Lunde, 88, went into cardiac arrest amid the box seats along the third-base line, Furlong -- a nurse with the Kennewick School District -- and Henry -- a nurse with the Pasco School District -- both volunteered their services immediately.

Lunde's grandson, Todd Borak of Kennewick, helped move her out of her seat and onto the concourse between the box and general admission seats.

"She had no pulse, so we had to bring her to a flat surface where we could give her CPR (cardiopulminary resucitation)," Henry said. "I didn't notice anything else around me. Donna was giving CPR and I was giving breaths. Our nursing intuition kicked in."

Furlong alternated CPR with Tolley, the Dust Devils first aid/security supervisor, and the Indians' training staff also contributed an Automated External Difibrillator, which was administered by Tolley.

Finally, after four minutes of CPR, Lunde regained a pulse.

At that point, emergency medical techicians arrived to stabilize her and transport her to Kadlec Regional Medical Center in Richland.

"Without (Furlong and Henry), this would have taxed our entire staff," said Tolley, a firefighting/first-aid training Lieutenant for the Hanford Fire Department. "A lot of people don't realize how huge it is to have a first-aid center here. If I do nothing else all year except this, it paid for itself tonight."

Two nights later, Lunde was resting comfortably at her daughter Lavonne DeFilippis' home in Kennewick and planning to attend today's Dust Devils game against Yakima. In fact, the family will return to the scene of the incident and sit in the very same seats.

"My parents taught me to walk my way through things in life," said DeFilippis, a principal in the Finley School District.

"I want to see (the Dust Devils) one last time before I go back home," said Lunde, who lives in Apache Junction, Ariz. "My daughter was telling people in the hospital that God put (the nurses) there."

Lunde, who turns 89 next Saturday, said the EMTs thought she might have suffered either a heart attack, a stroke or a seizure.

"It was none of those," Lunde said. "It was simply a lack of water. It completely shut down my system."

But Lunde, a former high school softball third baseman, said she won't make that mistake again. She's drinking plenty of liquids and feeling fine.

"I'm just lucky," she said. "I want to say the (Dust Devils) staff was phenomenal. I can't say enough about them."