On Dec. 30 in ...
* 1988 -- Pasco's Jamie Townsend was named an honorable mention Division I-AA All-American choice, capping his collegiate career at Eastern Washington University. Townsend, who broke EWU's career rushing record with 2,863 yards, was named as a running back.
* 1984 -- Herald staff and readers agreed that the top story of 1984 was ... the Tri-Cities Triplets winning the Northwest League title. At No. 2, readers selected Kennewick's clinching of the Big 9 title and state semifinal appearance while staffers selected Othello's winning of the state AA basketball crown.
* 1977 -- Bruce Patrrick scored 20 points and Mark Rowe added 16 as the Pasco boys basketball team defeated Richland 73-66 in Big Nine Conference play. Blaine Marlin led the Bombers with 18 points.
* 1976 -- Robin Boasen, Linda Hamilton, Sherri Peterson and Julia Klippert brought home first place trophies in the All-Around competition for the Tri-City Academy of Gymnastics from the Pacific Northwest Gymnastics Championships in Spokane.
* 1965 -- Gary Christenson scored a game-high 21 points as the Royal boys basketball team defeated host Othello 55-53. Tim Holmes led Othello with 15 points.