I feel compelled to respond to the teachers decision to go on strike for a day. It was stated that the teachers want to be “respected.” I would respect teachers and their profession more if they did the following;
1. Demanded year-round school
2. Requested to have their continuing education workshops during the summer months
3. Requested that their salary be based on yearly evaluations (like other professions)
4. Stop whining about all the work they do outside of their school day. That’s the difference between a “job” and a “profession”
5. Request that the school day include enough time for basic hygiene (proper hand washing), unhurried lunchtimes (include lessons on not wasting food) and politeness (holding doors open for adults and anyone behind you)
6. Stop saying “it’s about kids” when their behavior doesn’t back up that statement.