Again, the Herald prints a letter referencing a study that purports that 97% of scientists believe that man caused (anthropogenic) global warming (AGW) is fact and a threat to life on Earth. Even the Herald believes this. Most people think that someone actually went to the trouble of polling scientists to find their opinion. Nothing could be further from the truth. This study, done by global warming zealot John Cook, reviewed 12,271 scientific papers that included the words "global climate change" and rated them using volunteers that he recruited. 8,261 of these papers (67%) had no opinion on AGW whatsoever. These were discarded by Cook from further analysis! The remaining 4,010 papers (33%) had 65 that explicitly agreed with the hypothesis in a quantified way. The rest either didn't quantify man's influence (934), or were deemed to agree with the hypothesis (2,933). In other words, they put words into the scientist's mouths!
At the very best only 999 papers agree with AGW, or 8 percent, not 97%. And many of these papers are misclassified according to their authors. Cook designed this study for one purpose only: to influence public opinion. More can be found at tinyurl/agwscam1, tinyurl/agwscam2, and tinyurl/agwscam3.