Some people ignore local laws as regards the use of fireworks in their communities. They should not and, owing to their blatant determination to light fuses outside the legal window of time provided for such entertainment, if caught, they should be fined.
That's regrettable but we also have litter laws, speeding laws, disorderly conduct laws -- many laws most citizens do abide by. Part of the definition of a "community" is an agreement to live within the law.
A greater problem concerning me than a few renegades who prematurely set off fireworks is exemplified by my neighbor's teenage son, a freshman. When I asked him what we honor and celebrate on the 4th of July his response was: "Fireworks Day!" I guess I could appreciate a sense of "independence" with his answer.
-- BINK OWEN, Walla Walla
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Tri-City Herald
Set up safe fireworks zones
We should just ban fireworks. Why not? People misuse them, therefore they should be banned. That is the reasoning of a liberal. People misuse guns, therefore they should be banned.
In an area such as the Tri-Cities, which is so dry and fire prone, it is utter stupidity to allow personal fireworks. If they are going to be allowed then large areas with lots of green grass, asphalt or concrete should be set aside for use.
With houses close together such as most of the Tri-City area, noise consideration should be given to those who don't care for such noise, especially for the older, sick people.
-- JOHN FAULKNER, Richland
People still will break law
In answer to the question, "Should personal fireworks be banned?" yes, but what good would it do? Aerial fireworks are already illegal in Richland but people shoot them off with impunity.
There is a lot of combustible material in a neighborhood; dead trees and shrubbery, frayed combustible roofing, piles of trash. We had two property fires in our immediate neighborhood on the 4th of July.
A fireworks display is a thing of beauty, but not in an area that could erupt into a disastrous fire.
--MILDRED WALTON, Richland