Special Reports

Thrown off a train in 1923

I traveled by air last month from Los Angeles to the Tri-Cities. After navigating my way through Los Angeles International Airport, which is undergoing a remodeling I felt pretty confident in my ability to look like I knew what I was doing. The flight took me first to Sea-Tac, another large airport before finally landing in the Tri-Cities. I knew I was back in the sticks when I found myself, along with fellow passengers, standing on the tarmac waiting for the woman with the key to the terminal to come running and unlock the doors and let us in.

My 'adventure' was nothing like this one from 1923

Edgar Lowman walks in his sleep

Published on September 6, 1923

Printed in the Attalia News-Tribune

Edgar Lowman, of the Wallula Cash Store in Wallula, Wa., had quite an unusual adventure returning from Portland Sunday.

After piloting Mrs. Edgar Lowman and son Kenneth to Portland safely, on their journey to San Diego, Ca., where they expect to reside permanently, Edgar enjoyed the sights of the Big City and evidently was dog tired when evening came and it was time to resume his journey homeward.

The train leaving Portland had not cleared the city limits before Edgar fell into a deep slumber, and probably the excitement of the day's adventure in Portland, seeing two ball games, and the tall buildings, caused him to walk in his sleep.

From his account of the unusual experience on the train, it seems that he occupied the wrong seat, one that a passenger had occupied with a ticket to Arlington, Ore., The Conductor coming through the coach shook Edgar roughly and whispered in his ear, "Here's where you get off." Edgar being thus rudely awakened from his slumbers, grabbed his hat and cane and made a flying leap from the train which had almost come to a stop for his untimely exit.

After rubbing the dust from his eyes, and gathering disconnected objects through his orbs, the first thing that loomed up through his distorted vision, was the large yellow depot sign, the same as the one in Wallula, but the sign board read Arlington, Ore. The train had already disappeared down the track.

Edgar had to purchase another ticket to Wallula via Pendleton and Walla Walla, arriving at Wallula at noon on Monday. That is the reason the post office in the store was not open on time and consequently delayed receipt of the mail at the usual hour. Geo. H. Wheeler is the only one that has registered a complaint, account of not being able to get his mail on time.