Clayton Hackney, Kennewick Highlands mint grower, watches what to him is money flowing from the mint still pipe. When this photo was published on Sept. 9, 1958, Hackney was getting 150 pounds of mint oil per acre.
Elsbeth Schult and Karl Pollmann unpacked the car they drove from New York to Kennewick. The Germans are visiting the city where Pollmann was a foreign exchange student in 1968-69. This photo was published on August 6, 1972. Alex
The sixth and seventh grade students (40 students) of Bethlehem Lutheran School, Kennewick, decided to give a Christmas gift to the Cerebral Palsy Center in Kennewick this year rather than exchange gifts in the classroom. Presenting the $40 cash this week, from left to right, were Mary Cadwell, Kerry Schmidt, Gary Hubbard and Sandy Bruizeman, Bethlehem students, to Pat Mcmahon, director of the center, and Margaret McCulloch and Jack Mitchell, who are both taking training at the center. This photo was published on Dec. 25, 1969.
This gym was part of a $55,000 expansion project which was completed in 1965 at Bethlehem Lutheran school in Kennewick. A kitchen, library, additional restrooms, storage space and enlargement of the two classrooms were completed in the project. Mrs. Roy Neitzel, second-third grade teacher, was shown her class during a recent session. This photo was published on Mar. 24, 1970.
Kennewick High School's football coach, Ed Troxel, is shown in this photo dated 1984.
An aerial view of the old green bridge on March 22, 1953.
In this photo published on Feb. 12, 1984, Ingrid Gjerde (left) and Becky Banner (both 5 and kindergartners at Lincoln Elementary School in Kennewick) looked over a program for the school's cornerstone-laying ceremony. Included in a time capsule was a list of video games and a Michael Jackson record.
In the 1970s, underground electrical lines began replacing overhead lines.
Pasco-Kennewick Rotary President Paul Lawson tries on one of more than 250 used suits and sport coat and slack comination were offered for sale at the club's annual suit sale. Larry Laffaw, right, chairman of the sale to raise money for the youth projects, said the suits are priced from $10 to $25. The sale was held at the Tri-Cities Center Mall next to K-mart in Kennewick. This photo was published on May 8, 1980.
Gov. John Spellman addresses the 250 graduates at Kamiakin High School on June 2, 1984, during commencement. Also on the podium were salutatorian Ann M. Haffner (left), senior class president Joseph A. Dupius, and Principal Gayle E. Rice (right).
In 1982, construction for the Wet-N-Wild (later called Oasis) water slide began on Canal Drive in Kennewick.
Children at Kennewick's Westgate Elementary School learned Indian hand-signing when this photo was published on Nov. 30, 1984, from Rita Fritz, a Spokane Indian princess. Fritz, a Westgate student teacher, taught third-graders Indian dances, songs and sign language.
Miles King, president of the Pasco-Kennewick Rotary Club, modeled one of more than 500 used suits, sport coats and jackets that were offered for sale at the Rotary used suit sale. The sale was held at the Tri-Cities Center Mall next to K-mart in Kennewick. Helping King is Steve Crow, chairman for the suit sale project. The suit prices ranged from $5 to $35. This photo was published on April 4, 1979.
This was indeed a big day back in 1915 when the combined-harvest of George T. Hall of Hatton swung in to operation in harvesting wheat above Connell. The picture was taken in July 22, 1915, to be exact. In the drivers seat handling the 32-horse team, is Charles B. Hall, who in 1955 resided at 903 W. Klamath St., Kennewick. His brother, Ray Hall, also also of Kennewick can be seen on the combned harvester, second from left.
Tri-Citians were welcomed to inspect new facilities for the Washington State Patrol in this photo dated April 7, 1961. The building was located on Kennewick Avenue one block south of Highway 8. Chief greeter was Sgt. R.G. Liner, who commanded the 15-man detachment.
In this photo, published on April 14, 1984, Sandy Gayner of Kennewick pours Hurt Page a glass a wine form the Worden Washington Winery of Spokane at the first Auction & Wine Festival put on by the Kamiakin High School Instrumental Music Boosters. The fund Raising event was held to help pay for new uniforms. The new uniforms cost $38,000 and the booster club has collected just over $19,000.
Pasco City Manager Lee Kraft took the plunge off "Walk the Plank" water side at the grand opening of Wild 'n Wet water park on May 23, 1982.
Ninety-mile-an-hour winds wreaked havoc with this house on Badger Road in the Horse Heaven Hills, tearing off the entire upper floor. Mr. and Mrs. Dwight M. Talcott and their two children were asleep in the home when the gust struck on Jan. 19, 1961.
When Harold Schaible gave the sign to slow down, he added a look that meant business. Schaible was protecting fellow Burlington Northern workers in the background while they worked to repair railroad tracks that cross Fruitland Avenue in Kennewick in in this photo published on July 26, 1983. Alex
In this photo, published on July 10, 1984, woodworking students from Desert Hills Middle School in Kennewick stacked wood on a flatbed truck.
This photo taken on Dec. 23, 1964, shows the effect of melting snow in the Tri-Cities.
Head start recruiter Susan Gravel, right, watched as Linda Lumley of Kennewick, left, looked over the application for enrollment of her son, Shawn, center into the pre-school program which begins Oct. 1 in the Tri-Cities. (Sept. 16, 1974)
Even on nippy days, the tennis courts adjoining the Meadow Springs clubhouse were put to use by all-weather tennis buffs. Facilities, which included a golf course and swimming pool, were to be expanded in 1975 by vote of the 340 members.
Cars and golf carts may jam and cause some duffers to become teed-off at the intersection of Canal Drive and 15th unless the club persuades the Northern Pacific Railway to give up some land. The hole is on city property and the city is planning to extend Canal to Ione Street. To avoid congestion at the hole, the city has agreed to give up the land if the railway will donate 65 feet of right-of-way to locate the street to the north of fairway. To gain title to the land, the club must also permit the city to put a 16-inch water main across the west end of the golf course. Country club officials are meeting with the railway and expect to reach an agreement. This photo was published on Feb. 21, 1964. Alex
A crowd of nearly 1,000 persons attended dedication ceremonies on Jan. 16, 1963, at the River View School District's new $161,394.06 gymnasium and physical education building at Finley. It was bult exclusively with district funds. From left, during presentation of a new flag were: Supt. Alfred Meneely, O.K. Hamblin, and High School Principal John Bennett holding flag, and Directors Erling Lande, Russ Blair and Lawrence Ayre. The ceremony was at halftime in the River View-Burbank basketball game.
This photo was published on Dec. 23, 1984. Dick Beebe presented 15 pounds of beer pull-tabs to students in the Vista class.
This 1977 photo shows a "Welcome to Kennewick" sign, along with the population.
Charlotte Wagner is shown in her Kennewick mobile home in this 1976 photo.
In the 1970s underground electrical lines began replacing overhead lines. The new subdivision is Ranchette Estates in Kennewick.
Gene Spaulding is Tri-Citian of the year. This photo was published on March 27, 1983.
The Wet-N-Wild Water Park water slide on Canal Drive in Kennewick was completed and opened on schedule in May 1982. Crews were busy the past weeks before, pouring concrete for walkways and gunite on the slopes of the hill to stabilize the soil. When completed, the park featured four different slides, a picnic and swimming pool area and concessions.
Kamiakin High School in Kennewick was built in 1970 for $3.6 million and featured a modern campus concept.
A photo taken of Kennewick's Westgate School in 1984.
This 1977 photo shows downtown Pasco decorated for the holiday season.
This photo of the old Tri-City Herald building in downtown Kennewick was taken on Jan. 19, 1961.
Union Pacific Railroad supervisor George Schuster of Hermiston directed operator Neil McClain as they prepared to pour concrete to install an overhead flashing signal at the crossing on First Avenue, 500 feet west of Gum Street in Kennewick on May 5, 1984. Safety gates were also to be installed. The project was estimated to cost E132,000 with 99 precent paid by state and federal grants. Alex
Jack Church prepared to mow the lawn outside his Kennewick mobile home while Mrs. Church (in the background) waters the lawn. (1976)
This aerial photo taken in 1972 shows Two Rivers Park in Finley is a popular place to swim, boat and ski. The park is leased to Benton County by the Corps of Engineers.
Kennewick High School senior Brenda Fichtner sported a toga while doing class duty at the Kennewick police station in this photo published on Feb 2, 1984. The students were wearing togas as part of prom week activities.
This photo taken in 1976 shows the clubhouse at Sun Meadows where residents hold potlucks at the Kennewick mobile home park.
The sport coat didn't fit but Pasco-Kennewick Rotary Club president Rod Louden said more of the 600 used suits and matching sportcoats and pants of all sizes were available at the Columbia Center West at the club's annual suit sale. The sale was held across the street east of Blacom's Restaurant is to raise money for Rotary youth projects. This photo was published on April 4, 1977.
Unloading used suits, sports coats and slacks for the annual Pasco-Kennewick Rotary suit sale are Bill Diack, left, suit sale chairman and Rotary director Larry Laffaw. About 400 suits and sport coat-slack combinations were offered for sale in the fund-raising event at Tri-Cities Center Mall next to the Kennewick K-mart. This photo was published on May 5, 1981.
Ralph Oswaldo, president of Pasco-Kennewick Rotary Club, modeled one of about 600 used suits, sport coat and slacks combinations and topcoats that Rotarians sold at the Columbia Center Warehouse next to Esther's Pies. The garments will be sold from $2.50 to $20. Proceeds go to Rotary youth programs. This photo was published on April 8, 1976.
Contractor Marc Williams put a level to one of the treated poles that supports this home that was built in Finley. It was believed at the time to be the first home in the Tri-Cities to be erected on poles. This photo was published on July 28, 1978. Jim and Arzetta Fisher bought the home for about $44,000 for the 2,100-square-foot, two story home.
In this photo, published on April 25, 1984, Khanh Tran, a fourth grader at Washington Elementary School in Kenewick, pauses while having trouble with the word "weighed" at the fifth annual Delta Kappa Gamma spelling bee held at Canyon View Elementary school. Tran, who took third place for his grade, was flanked by Candi Adams of Plymouth Elementary, (left) and Jennifer Lampson of Edison Elementary.
This photo was published on Jan. 23, 1985. Nat Noyola spoke to the Kennewick school Board Tuesday on the behalf of a group of parents who favor soccer as a school sport.
Union Pacific Railroad workers repaired the rail crossing on Chemical Drive near Andrews Cold Storage in this photo published on May 17, 1980. Several downtown Kennewick crossings were scheduled for repair by UP and Burlington Northern Railroad crews. Alex
Four water slides that will be part of an aquatic amusement park at Canal Drive and Osborn Street started to take shape as portions of the slides were put into place. The four slides were the initial part of a project by Southern Slides Inc. in April 1982.
Workers poured concrete for a freestyle area at the Tri-City Skateboard Park that was expected to open in Kennewick in March 1978.
A Kennewick moving firm towed away a house along Highway 14 and through the streets of Kennewick to a new location on 36th Avenue near Garfield Street. The house, owned by Donald Lagrou, had been at Edison Street and Canal Drive. Perparations for the move took about a week. This photo was published on March 26, 1978.
Washington Elementary School student Kristy Stankovich showed second-grader Ryan Wheatley how to log in his vote in a mock election. The children voted for president and governor at the end of a school-wide project on elections. This photo was published on Nov. 3, 1984.
A Department of Defense caboose and four cars carrying radioactive materials shipping casks sat parked along Canal Drive in Kennewick in this photo published on Nov. 6, 1984. Between the longer cask-carrying cars were shorter cars that appeared to contain hydraulic shock absorbers. Alex
In the days of horses, horsepower was used to harvest wheat in the Horse Heaven hills. Farmers worked such long hours that the common joke was a "wrangler" traded his bed for a lantern. This picture was taken in 1907 of the C. B. Quillen's combine. Writing on the photograph identifies the men as Dave McCoy, Ben Baitson, W.S. Matthews and Quillen.
This Spokane Portland and Seattle Railroad passenger car, which was suppose to be the start a Kennewick Kiwanis railroad museum, was sold to an Okanogan man for $1,000 in 1981. "We never could get the money or backing we needed to create the museum," said George Jones, Kiwanis spokesman. Bill Schweers of Okanogan, the new owner, hopes to move the older car from its Chemical Drive location, Jones said. This photograph was taken when the car was put into place in 1977 at its east Kennewick resting place. Alex
Mobile home owners highly regard the quality of the interiors in their mobile homes. This photo was taken in 1976.
Riding the rails, Sam Kirkpatrick stood on the front of a Jackson Tamper, a device that digs through the gravel to lift the railroad tie to a determined height. The process leveled and straightened the track. The crew was working on the Burlington Northern track that runs parallel to Canal Drive in Kennewick. The front section of the machine is about 60 feet from the drive section and contains lights and reflectors for accurate leveling measurements. R.K. Heier (right) and Dan Goohue (left) watched the digging process in this photo published on March 3, 1984. Alex
This photo taken in 1984 shows the construction of the bleachers at Kennewick High stadium.
Construction of the Kennewick High Stadium. This photo was taken in 1984.
Sandbags are made ready to be piled on Smith's curve west of Kennewick as the swollen Columbia River topped out at the edge of the pavement in this photo dated June 25, 1950. The workers are volunteer residents of the area. The materials were furnished by the State Highway Department. The barrier was placed where the current struck the bank the strongest.
In this photo published on Mar. 12, 1978, apartments and and addition to a subdivision were built next to Park School (Park Middle School).
Exchange students, from left, Olga Tatarow, Ulli Krause, Gavriela Carracso, Konrad Haendener and Carl Sakshuag sipped cokes in a Kennewick drugstore as they talked about how they spend the holidays in their homelands in this photo published on Dec. 27, 1977. Alex
Edward Lang of Kennewick claimed the cutter and binder shown above had the first power take-off used. He said the machine inspired the invention of combines. This picture was taken in 1914 on Lang's farm. Lang (left) and his partner John Dahlquist (right) built the machine applied for a patent but the inventors never received a cent for the outfit.
In this photo, published in Jan. 1984, first-grader Cam Nguyen watched closely as she worked on a vocabulary drill with aide Barbara Stanley during Camps daily 90-minute English as a Second Language class at Kennewick's Westgate Elementary School. Alex
This photo was published on July 15, 1984, Friends and classmates in the 1934 Kennewick High School graduation class, became "family" in the ensuing 50 years, said one member of the class. When most gathered for their 50th class reunion, memories brought back the time when horses ranged the Horse Heaven Hills, and wagons with makeshift sleds ferried students to school in the dead of winter.
Workers take a break to pose for a photograph during construction of the old Kennewick High School. Work on the showpiece school was completed in 1911.