The town of Ainsworth located in the Washington Territory near the Snake River is shown this photo taken Aug. 8, 1884.
Pasco Fire Chief John Hager sat in the new $211,000 aerial-tower truck when this photo was published on Aug. 26, 1977. The truck, specially equipped with an 85-foot aerial tower, was the only one of its kind in the Pacific Northwest.
Several trucking firms along North Oregon Avenue in East Pasco are shown in this photo dated 1976. This area was industrialized during the city's $4 million urban renewal project.
This aerial photo shows Pasco's Court Street and the K-Mart and Buttrey Foods store in 1982.
Fourth Avenue in Downtown pasco was widened in 1979. Trees were removed from the sidewalks and the street was widened to four lanes.
This land at Road 36 and Court Street was annexed to Pasco in 1979 and was zoned "designated shopping center."
A man walked through a forest of poles behind the Franklin Courthouse between Henry and Margaret streets in Pasco. This photo was published on Mar. 10, 1978.
Charbonneau Park- Boat Dock in 1977
Karen Coulson, senior recreation leader for Pasco's parks department, in her office during planning of anticipated city recreation events, on Jan. 21, 1979.
The summer of 1973, the Corps of engineers developed what it felt would be one of the most popular of the parks on the Snake River. Located down river and on the opposite banks from Levey Park, Charbonneau Park just upstream from Ice Harbor Dam is named for the husband of Sacajawea.
This June 11, 1978 photo shows independent truckers who parked their trucks in front of King City Truck Stop in support of the hundreds of striking truckers who are protesting the high cost and shortage of diesel fuel. All Tri-City truck stops had voluntarily shut off their diesel pumps in support of the strike.
The Bondage Breakers and the Undertakers, two Tri-City motorcycle clubs, show up at the National Guard Armory in Pasco once a month to help unload boxes of government surplus food for the Benton Franklin Community Action Committee in this 1985 photo.
Hurricane-force winds tore the roof off this warehouse at 1921 N. Fourth, Pasco when this photo was published on Mar. 4, 1958. The warehouse was used by a paper supply wholesaler and several other businesses.
On Nov. 7, 1976, Norman Frank raked leaves from some of the 300 trees in Sacajawea Park.
Pasco's water tower in 1978.
In this photo datedFeb. 28, 1989 workers are shown cutting branches as the kids play on the slide in Memorial park in Pasco.
Many a Tri-City motorist at the time would recognize this photograph, dated Dec. 30, 1959. Drivers awoke to an inch or two of snow that turned roads and highways slick.
Snow didn't seem to bother this cat, as it curld up for a snooze atop a hay stack in this photo dated Jan. 21, 1960.
Fallen trees were familiar sights in may parts of the Tri-Cities on Dec. 17, 1961 following a windstorm that reached hurricane force intensities. Workers were shown preparing to move a large tree that was uprooted and felled at the intersection of Margaret Ave. and Norbart St., Pasco.
Winter's chill dragged on in 1960. This photo dated Jan. 20, 1960 shwos the stockyards in Pasco. Food was hard to come by for the birds so that birds of all kinds were flying to the cattle feed as soon as it was dumped off.
Someone skeptical of the Pasco Chamber of Commerce's slogans braved the 29-degree weather to deliver this frosty message on a windshield when this photo was published on Dec. 20, 1960.
This undated photo shows a Pasco Fire Department employee spraying the pavement to cool the feet of these visitors.
When this photo was published on Jan. 22, 1962, ice was thick enough to skate on at Casey Pond in Burbank. From left: Allene and Marrien Sampson, Richland; Tomina Ward, Janice and Bob Brinson, and Wayne and Yvonne Olson, all of Kennewick.
Water gushes from a broken downspout at 1829 W. Court St. in Pasco about on Dec. 23, 1964.
A successful day of fishing ended, dinner finished and the dishes washed, Glenn and Gladys Denney sat down for a game of cards in their motorhome in 1976.
Dick Clifton, interpretive consultant for state parks, showed one of the several historical murals painted by artist E.E MacCannell in 1940 which were uncovered when he begun stripping the interior of the building at Sacajawea State Park in April 1977.
Gladys Denney cooked a dinner of fish from O'Sullivan Lake on the liquid petroleum gas range in her mini-motorhome on March 7, 1976.
In March 1978, Pasco city officials examine work on a new subdivision being prepared for home construction west of the Tri-City Airport. From left are City Manager George Smith, Councilmen Ira Schmidt and Sterl Adams and Mayor Chet Bailie.
T.A. Schotz looked for a snack in the kitchen of a 35-foot motor home on March 13, 1977.
Former rock star Little Richard appeared in the Tri-Cities on April 6, 1984 to give free performances at the Tri-City Junior Academy in Pasco. He sang, played the piano and shared the story of how he overcame his problems through Christ.
An increasingly popular riverside park near the Tri-Cities is Hood Park on the Snake River close to its confluence with the Columbia. The park is administered by the Walla Walla County Park Board. This photo was published on March 11, 1973.
Special to the Herald
Members of the Pasco Chapter of the Daughters of Pioneers of Washington, from left, are Mrs. L.M. Koontz, Mrs. A.B. Hill, Mrs. W.F. Chute, Mrs. A.A. Radditz, Mrs. L.A. Schuneman, Mrs. Charles Allard and Mrs. Victor Pangle. The group helped build the monument in Sacagawea Park at the confluence of the Snake and Columbia Rivers 82 years ago.
This photo shows the town of Ainsworth on Aug. 3, 1994. The photographer was looking towrds the confluence of the Snake and Columbia rivers.
Herman James, owner of James' Trailer Court on S. Queen St., Pasco waits with his pickup truck hub deep in water, ready to evacuate the ten families in his court if the East Pasco runoff caused water on his property to rise any higher in this photo published on Feb. 6, 1957. Properties in a 20 block area from the Northern Pacific tracks eastward as far as Elm St. and from A St. north to Lewis were prone to flooding every year as there was no pipe or culvert under the N.P. tracks.
Railroad culverts near Glade were threatened by undercutting torrents of floodwater from Mesa and Connell. Mayor Harry Custer, Pasco, and frineds examined potenial damage in this photo dated Feb. 24, 1956. Railroad tracks were in bad shape all the way to Connell, with the worst damage at Eltopia and Mesa.
When Marian Rexus decided to go back to work she wanted something more exciting to do than clerking or housekeeping. The mother of three answered an ad for a veterinary assistant and really enjoys it. "My job is to hold the animals while they are being examined and treated," she said. This photo was published in 1977.
Don Watson of Ellijay, GA., was in the Tri-Cities on June 28, 1976 on his way down the Columbia River to the Pacific and Alaska. The self-proclaimed long-distance record holder for canoe travel, Watson said he will have traveled 24,000 miles when he finishes his current trip from Key West, Fla., to Juneau, Alaska, via America's major waterways. In his powered 15-foot modified canoe, Watson said he has weathered a tropical storm and has been bothered by sharks. He also said he made the trip because, "Nothing like this has ever happened before, and I wanted to show people that our waterways are still clean."
Ice provided a pretty but dangerous sheath on a barge unloading a cargo of oil at Port of Pasco on Feb. 6, 1956.
Tumbleweeds were on the workorder for May 5, 1966 at the construction site of Country Gardens north of Pasco.
Five-mile rapids on the Snake River was clogged with chunks of ice which made the river look like the arctic. A barge was working on Ice Harbor was lodged in the ice. The river was completely blocked by ice at the old wing dam, but the flow of water hadn't been blocked to back the water up. This photo was published on Feb. 8, 1956.
Floodwater from Connell, Mesa and Eltopia found its way to a resting place at the Pasco Airport in this photo dated Feb. 22, 1956. The water threatened the runways before subsiding. The late was intermittant two miles from Road 36 to Spokane Highway extending several miles toward Eltopia. The lake was formed by a river of runoff water.
This photo shows icebergs on the Columbia River near the Tri-Cities in 1914 and was taken by Arthur M. Haylett of Pasco. It was said that in 1908 snow drifted eight feet deep against and outhouse and ice on the Columbia was 14 inches deep. This photo shows ice on the river in 1914 was much thicker than 14 inches.
This photo, taken in 1976 was labeled Al Pound, Moon Security.
On Sept 16, 1968, Pasco patrolman Ron Johnson diplayed a new look in the police department. Helmets for patrolmen are being worn at all times. Capt. Glenn Sickels said police across the country were wearing helmets for protection.
Cutting in on Officer Jim Williams was Capt. Scott Caldwell, 11, of the Captain Gray School safetypatrol, in preparation for the Pasco Policeman's Dance on April 26, 1968. Their dancing partner was Barbara Young, police clerk. Part of the proceeds were used to finance the annual patrol boy's picnic.
In 1972 Jim Williams moved to Orofino, Idaho to become the Chief of Police.
About 1,000 workers laid off from Hanford No. 1 construction jobs applied for unemployment benefits. Shown in this photo dated May 5, 1982 workers get unemployment information by attending classes at Plumbers and Steamfitters Local No. 598 in Pasco. The classes were conducted by the Department of Employment Security.
Switchman Floyd Rigby smoked a cigarette while picketing one entrance to the Burlington Northern roundhouse along A Street in Pasco in this photo dated Apr. 13, 1982. About 250 members of the local union joined a nationwide strike that was expected to halt all passenger and most freight traffic.
Pickets gathered at the Boise Cascade Inc. main gate in Wallula in this photo dated Sept. 13, 1976. About 45 members of Untied Paper Workers International picketed the plant. The pickets were removed later that day. The stike by about 70 operators started Aug. 3 of that year.
Downtown Pasco, looking north. This photo is dated Mar. 13, 1977.
The corner of E. Wheeler and N. Glendening streets in 1979.
The waterfall in Peanuts Park in Pasco was built for $10,000 in the 1970s. This photo is dated Mar. 22, 1977.
This photo, dated May, 17, 1979 shows Pasco councilman and Mayor pro-tem Bill Wilkins, left, and Pasco NAACP president, Rev. Ralph Bullock, right, as the NAACP honored the U.S. Supreme Court's desegregation order 25 years earlier.
This photo shows the corner of Lewis Street and Third Avenue in Pasco on Mar. 29, 1978.
New housing was popping up in farmland in the Riverview area of Pasco. This photo was published in 1978.
Franklin County deputies corraled some 50 speeders exiting Columbia Basin College on Wernett Road when a new speed limit sign was posted in 1976.
County engineer Al McCann said the speed lmit had been 25 mph for four years in the Riverview area, but no sign had been posted on Wernett.
The prospective home of Riverview High School in Pasco was plagued with groundwater problems. The district bought the land for $37,950. In the background is a home that had been flooded out. This photo is dated April 2, 1970.
Students and their teacher let down their hair to hash out a problem in an Operation Motivation class. At left is Neil Hamar, one of five OM instructors at the alternative to enrollment in Pasco High School held at Whittier School. This photo was published on April 6, 1973.
Marvin 'Muzzy' Musgrave got to the point while showing a tenth of his 40,000 pencil collection to Marcus Whitman students in Pasco on Oct. 14, 1975.
Harry Hudlow, Pasco, made sagebrush into household items in this photo published on Aug. 24, 1970. His biggest problem was finding sagebrush large enough to handle without splitting. Hudlow first came to the Tri-Cities in 1947 as Franklin County PUD's first manager.
Whittier School in east Pasco. This photo was taken on Oct. 14, 1974.
This photo of a water meter at Pasco's golf course is dated Nov. 1977.