Three generations were ready to take a load of asparagus to market in the spring of 1939 at the N.C. Nielsen farm, which stood at Vancouver Street and 19th Avenue in Kennewick. Shown are baby Sherryl Dimond, mother Ruth Nielsen Dimond and grandmother Olga Johnson Nielsen.
Bill Gravenslund, right, and two unidentified salesmen stand outside of Washington Hardware and Furniture in Kennewick to demonstrate the new Meter Miser Frigidaires, which came out in 1933.
History was made the morning of Nov. 13, 1953, when the first barge load of bulk wheat started loading from the new $1 million North Pacific Grain Growers elevator in Kennewick.
Columbia Park House, a home that once was located along the Columbia River in Kennewick.
Kennewick’s first double wedding took place on September 16, 1909, when Alfred Amon married Gretta Book and his sister Ruth Amon married Carl Williams. Pictured from left to right are Carl Williams, Ruth Amon, Alfred Amon and Gretta Book. The wedding took place in the prominent Amon family home that stood on the southwest corner of Kennewick Avenue and Fruitland Street in Amon’s Addition.
Downtown Kennewick, as shown in this picture taken in the 1960s, was the hub of Kennewick’s business. Shown is Kennewick Avenue, looking east.
Downtown Kennewick has gone through many changes since this picture was taken at the corner of Kennewick Avenue and North Cascade Street in 1953. The most recent efforts at revitalizing the neighborhood includes restoring some of the storefronts to how they looked back then.
The first class at Kennewick High graduated in 1908. They were Audrey Fullerton, Guy Story, Ethel Tompkins, Fannie Smith, Jay Perry, Mae Sercombe, Nima Hoadley and Lloyd Haxtona.
The south end of the Northern Pacific Railroad in Kennewick, site of the 1906 “shootout at Poplar Grove” is shown in 1978 photo.
Contributions of $100,000 and a bond issue for $500,000 helped finance construction of Kennewick General Hospital in 1952. The original building was designed for 45 beds.
On Friday, March 1, 1958, passersby were startled to see Old No. 1250, a then half-century-old coal-burning locomotive, near the Benton Street railroad crossing in Kennewick looking ready to start with a string of cars. The sturdy old “hog” was starting her last run - to the Northern Pacific’s dismantling shop in Auburn. She made the trip in the middle of a dieseldrawn train, firebox and boiler cold, deadheading to an inglorious end.
King, a 150-pound dog, argues with Kennewick City Clerk Marjorie Miller over a proposed dog leash ordinance in this March 7, 1960, photo.
Patients’ beds in the corridors of Kennewick General Hospital were not too uncommon a sight as shown in this Oct. 28, 1964, photo. KGH had rooms to accommodate 21 patients but had asked voters to approve a $759,000 bond issue to add 23 beds Nov. 3, 1964.
Bowling got its start in the Tri-Cities in this building at 118. W. Kennewick Ave. and was called King’s Bowl. It later became the Sportsman Tavern, which is shown in this 1976 photo. There were three leagues in the four-lane bowling establishment, which closed in 1950.
Roy R. Hulburt Sr. is shown clearing sagebrush from his farm a mile east of Kiona in this Nov. 22, 1956, photo. His home, on the hill behind him, was the first to be built on new irrigable lands in the Kennewick Irrigation District.
Lena McCamish, Fruitland Elementary School principal, is shown with the 1880-style desks still in use in this May 3, 1964, photo. Kennewick was asking for a levy that would include $7,500 to replace the desks and chairs in 10 rooms at the school.
Margaret Thompson of Kennewick, center, and Mrs. G. C. Sutch, of Richland, are shown meeting in Olympia with Gov. Dan Evans in this Dec. 19, 1965, photo. They were helping plan a tour of Washington and Oregon points of interest along the Lewis and Clark trail.
The first bookmobile to operate in Benton and Franklin counties was parked in front of the old Kennewick City Hall before its first run in the summer of 1949. The bookmobile also served as a vehicle to carry messages between neighboring farmers.
Downtown Kennewick is shown in this undated photo. The view is from Benton Street, looking west on Kennewick Avenue.
On Jan. 27, 1950, snow covered the streets in Kennewick. The day’s high temperature was 16 degrees. The low was 4 degrees.
Visger’s Drugs, 203 W. Kennewick Ave., shown in this undated photo, sports Kennewick’s first neon sign.
This Dec. 21, 1964, photo shows downtown Kennewick as city crews worked to clear Kennewick Avenue of snow by scraping it to the middle. In mid-block, it was piled 3 to 4 feet high and at intersections it was more than 8 feet high.
The poor condition of Kennewick’s streets was shown in this April 26, 1950, photo of Kennewick Avenue and Rainier Street.
Cub Scouts attending a day camp in Columbia Park received a history lesson from Boy Scout Don Carlyle of Kennewick, who showed them how a 1863 muzzle-loading rifle operated.
Janice Sunford, left, city manager’s secretary and Jeanne Muir, deputy clerk, carry on business almost as usual in Kennewick City Hall after it was damaged by a fire Oct. 8, 1959.
This photo from the 1920s shows Bill Duffy and his sister, Dorothy, at the Duffy swimming pool at 305 N. Washington St. in Kennewick.
Kennewick Fire Truck No. 1, shown April 19, 1950, during the parade celebrating the Tri-City Braves’ first baseball season.
The former Benton County PUD substation on Avenue C in Kennewick was to be torn down soon after this June 22, 1962, photo was published. The structure, built in 1926 by the Pacific Power and Light Co., sent power to Kennewick street lights and the area from Finley to the Richland Y. The load demand then was 500 kilowatts. The demand in 1962, served by four large substations, was 60,000 kilowatts annually. The building had not been used since 1950.
Glenn Felton, chairman of the board of commissioners of the Kennewick hospital association turned the first shovelful of dirt at ceremonies held March 29, 1951, at the hospital site at 10th and Auburn streets. Shown with Felton are, from left, J. R. Ayers, Mrs. Bernice Goode, secretary-treasurer of the association, and F.M. Ludlow. Ayres and Ludlow were the two other commissioners.
The heat was in the 90s when this photo was taken May 22, 1963, and 3-year-old Jamie Perry, daughter of Mrs. and Mrs. Jim Perry, kept cool by standing in the shadow of her broad-shouldered father. They were attending a baseball game in Kennewick.
In 1919, travel by automobile between Kennewick and Spokane could get sticky. C.B. Quillen of Kennewick is shown beside his Dodge touring car waiting for a farmer with a horse to help pull him out of the mud.
In this Dec. 20, 1964, photo, Ralph Reed and his wife, Dora, looked over a 1919 volume of Kennewick Courier and Recorder and recalled the coldest winter recorded in the Tri-City area. Reed was the editor at that time.
The new 1971 Kennewick Junior Miss, Cindy Junt, second from left, posed with other winners, from left, Dee Lin Doescher, second; Gail Herom, third, and Gaylene Agen, voted Miss Congenialty.
When this picture was taken in 1904, Kennewick was incorporated into a city. Until that time, the city had been in Yakima County. It was decided the county was too large and it was divided. The southern part, which included Kennewick, was called Benton County. This view shows Kennewick Avenue as an uncrowded and unpaved street.
A group of inaugural members of First Lutheran Church in Kennewick take time for a photograph. They had just arrived in Kennewick by covered wagon from Genessee, Idaho.
Graves Auto Service at 15 N. Auburn received the Hudson automobile franchise in 1948. Shown in front of a new Hudson are, from left, Wayne McGuffin, salesman; Alfred Amon, Kennewick mayor; a Hudson representative; Bill Graves, owner; O.C. “Dutch” Lincoln, police chief; and Paul Pickett, salesman.
Drivers negotiating recent traffic jams can appreciate the delays motorists faced trying to get across the old green bridge when this photo was taken in 1949. The narrow, 2,113footlong span was just downstream from the cable bridge between Kennewick and Pasco. It was built in 1921 with 10,672 tons of concrete and 1,015 tons of steel at a cost of $480,000. The green bridge was finally demolished in 1990, after a nineyear court battle by advocates who wanted to preserve it as a historic structure.
On Aug. 19, 1976, the new K-Mart opened on Canal Drive in Kennewick. Boasting a parking lot for almost 1,000 cars, the lot was full on opening day.
This is what Kennewick Avenue looked like this before a $148,000 reconstruction project was completed in July 1958. The photo of Kennewick Avenue, looking east toward Yelm Street, was taken before it was transformed into a four-lane boulevard with a center island.
W.G. King and Clarence King, center, pose with others with early day harvesting equipment at the corner of Kennewick Avenue and Washington Street in Kennewick.
Fred Arnold’s Kennewick Wholesale Grocery Co. is one of Kennewick’s oldest buildings still standing today. This photo was taken in the 1920s. The building is between the Northern Pacific and Union Pacific tracks at the east end of town, behind what is now Wondrack Oil.
Dapper L. E. Johnson was nearing the end of his banking career in Kennewick in the early 1920s when he posed for this photo at the J. H. Gravenslund studio in downtown Kennewick.
O.A. Myklebost of Pasco places a wreath on a memorial headstone at Kennewick’s Riverview Heights Cemetery on Nov. 10, 1966. Myklebost, a “doughboy” in World War I, was wearing his well-cared-for uniform, helmet, leggings and overcoat.
Tom Russell was the first male telephone operator at the Kennewick office. He took the $2.34-an-hour job while attending Columbia Basin College. He had held the job for five months when this photo was published Nov. 4, 1973.
New playground equipment was installed on May 5, 1969, in Columbia Park in Kennewick, including a cluster of eight modernistic “trees.” The equipment was constructed and installed by HUICO Inc. of Pasco. The firm and F.M. Cochrane donated the equipment to help the Props Club develop a creative children’s playground.
Bill Sebero, a Washington State Patrol radio dispatcher, is shown in the patrol’s Kennewick office in this early 1970s photo.
The Bateman Brothers’ Kennewick Hotel is shown following the big fire, May 2, 1948. The Bateman Building rose from its ashes on Kennewick Avenue at Cascade Street. Photos courtesy East Benton Coun
A.V. McReynolds sits on the steps, while his wife Sarah Voss McReynolds stands on the porch of their new home on the northwest corner of Kennewick Avenue at Fruitland Street.
When Francis Ludlow managed the Church Grape Juice plant, Church’s promoted its grape juice and apple juice. Here Eloise Koch, sponsored as “Miss Sunshine” by Western Airlines, demonstrates that she really likes Church’s naturally sweet pure Western Concord Grape Juice. Miss Sunshine stopped at the plant in Kennewick to refresh herself during a tour promoting Southern California and Arizona. Photos courtesy East Benton Historical Museum
Kennewick celebrated the end of an era October 1982, when Lawrence Scott closed his Standard service station, now the site of downtown’s Centennial Flag Plaza. On the platform are longtime Fire Chief Herb Malchow, left, and Scott’s wife, Bonnie Brown Scott.
Joseph Carroll (J.C.) Pratt came to Kennewick in 1906 and operated an auto repair garage at 11 N. Auburn St. and the InterCity Bus Line from the same location.
Rufus A. Oliver rides in the front seat of his 1913 circa Model T Ford, driven by his son, Clint. Rufus Oliver used the car to deliver mail in Kennewick. With him on the Sunday drive are his wife, Hanna, and his younger son Lewis.
H. W. Desgranges holds some of Kennewick’s finest potatoes.
Early Kennewick newspaperman Ralph Reed works in his shop early in the 1900s. He founded and operated the Kennewick Courier-Reporter from 1914-45.
Paul Richmond owned the Hover Block, right, on Kennewick Avenue at Cascade Street when this photo was taken in the 1940s. Vibber’s Drug Store occupied the corner office for many years.
A.F. Brown is at left in the Kennewick Valley Telephone Co. office with two of his telephone operators. “Num please,” operators said as callers phoned the switchboard to be connected to another party.
Sadie Conway sits on the porch of her home on North Dayton Street on July 4, 1942. In ill health, she couldn’t ride in the Kennewick Fourth of July parade. She died a month later.
Dr. L.G. Spaulding of Kennewick.
McDonald’s was selling hamburgers for 15 cents and had its trademark golden arches when Greg Adams came to town in 1973. Today this store at 2541 W. Kennewick Ave. has been extensively remodeled and is a Casa Mia restaurant.
John Rudkin stands alongside the beginnings of an orchard in the Kennewick Highlands area.
Two unidentified Camp Fire Girls present books about Camp Fire to Neva Bequette at the MidColumbia (9 E. Kennewick Ave.) Library in 1960.
The Garbers had a showplace home on Columbia Drive near Benton Street that was converted to a small hospital after Gottlieb Garber’s death in 1932.
When it’s time to move, empty liquor boxes fill the bill, even for the Washington State Patrol. This March 21, 1979, photo shows Trooper George Bazin unpacking in the patrol’s new Kennewick office, three miles south of Kennewick Avenue and Highway 395.
The Klittens’ 50-room Kennewick Hotel on the southwest corner of Kennewick Avenue at Cascade Street was Kennewick’s finest for more than 40 years until it burned in 1948. The Bateman Building soon was built on its site.
Antique cars were used by Bob Graves, left, and Cork Simmelink to dramatize what they say are Kennewick’s “ancient and narrow” streets. Graves was driving a 1916 Dodge touring car and Simmelink had a 1920 Dodge screenside delivery. Many of Kennewick’s streets were built in the era when these cars were factory new.
Horatio Huntington is shown inside the Kennewick Trading Co. on N. Auburn Street.
Senior High Class Officers: Bill Duffy, Karin Kahl, Dale Dickinson, Kae Watkins, 1952, at Erwin S. Black Senior High School, now Kennewick High School.
George F. Richardson stands in front of the new 1914 Kennewick Transfer Co. offices at 112 W. Kennewick Ave., with his son, G.F., left, and his wife Flora Eulalie (Lalie). Stanton’s Insurance Company on the east side of the building remained a part of downtown Kennewick for some 80 years, later owned by community leaders Trenbath, Gascoigne, Fyfe, Spaulding and Matheson before selling to SpencerKinney.
The Kennewick Police Department posed in 1968 in front of the new City Hall. Back row (left to right): Ralph Phillips, Mike Hambleton, Gary Buck, Ron Waldner, John Maplethorp, Chief Dutch Lincoln, Bob Farnkopf. Front row: Red Moreno, John Klundt, Bill Campbell, Miles Jaeger, Check Owens and Clif Morgan
A vegetable cannery dating back to 1907 served as the offices for the first Tri-City Herald in Kennewick. Remodeled many times, part of the old building was torn down in 2004.
Crowds pack downtown sidewalks for the children’s parade during the Kennewick Grape Festival in 1946. The annual event celebrated Concord grape production at a time when Kennewick was still largely an agricultural community.
Workers take a break to pose for a photograph during construction of the old Kennewick High School. Work on the showpiece school was completed in 1911.
This early photo of a shepherd in Kennewick shows him tending his flock with the brick high school building on South Dayton Street in the background.
A class of Kennewick teachers are instructed by a Highlands Junior High School teacher in this March 10, 1963, photo. Classes in “modern math,” a new theory of teaching math, was being taught to educators in TriCity school districts.