Benton City man threatens people with chainsaw

A Benton City man apparently upset about deputies shooting his dog rode around town on his bicycle with a running chainsaw, threatening to kill someone, authorities said.

Benton County sheriff's deputies went to a home at 511 Cora Lane around 3:45 p.m. Tuesday at the request of the state Department of Social and Health Services and Richland police to check on a domestic violence victim, said Deputy Joe Lusignan.

Deputies were told she had called for help and was in tears.

When deputies arrived, they saw a man sitting in a car by the road and asked if the woman was there, Lt. Chuck Jones said. The man said yes, and reportedly told the deputy to go up to the home.

The deputy walked up the pathway, onto the deck and found the front door open. A 40- to 50-pound aggressive dog then ran out straight for the deputy, and no one inside tried to call him off, Jones said.

The deputy rushed away backward, pulled his gun and shot the dog once, killing it, Jones said.

Deputies left the home after determining the woman was OK.

About four hours later, deputies were called back to Benton City after getting reports that Steven S. Eggers, 43, was intoxicated and riding around on his bicycle threatening people, Lusignan said.

Eggers, who apparently lives in the Cora Lane home, had a running chainsaw and homemade nunchucks. He reportedly told people he was upset about his dog being killed and said he was going to kill someone.

When deputies contacted Eggers at Third Street and Belle Avenue, he was aggressive toward them and was placed in restraints, Lusignan said. After officers figured out what happened, Eggers was told he was being arrested for disorderly conduct and unlawful display of a weapon.

Eggers resisted deputies as they tried to put him in the patrol car and began kicking the door. While leg restraints were then put on Eggers to prevent him from hurting himself and damaging the car, Eggers bit a deputy's hand, Lusignan said.

Once in the back of the patrol car, Eggers repeatedly slammed his head against the divider and spat blood on the windows and seats, he said.

He continued to be aggressive at the hospital, and he was restrained on a gurney. Eggers continued to thrash around and spit blood in a deputy's face, Lusignan said.

Hospital officials asked that Eggers be removed, and he was then taken to the Benton County jail, where he was booked on suspicion of three counts of third-degree assault for assaulting the deputies.

Reports were also sent to the prosecutor's office for review of additional charges.

Grant County deputies find pot grow at fire site

Grant County sheriff's deputies responding to a mobile home fire late Tuesday ended up finding a small marijuana grow behind the home.

Deputies and Grant Fire District 5 were called out at 11:12 p.m. to a fully engulfed mobile home fire in the 10,000 block of Neppel Road near Moses Lake.

The home was destroyed, and the resident, Jonathan Lucas, 27, was found on the ground near the burning home, officials said.

Lucas appeared to have minor burns and was taken to Samaritan Hospital in Moses Lake for treatment.

While assisting firefighters, deputies reportedly found a small marijuana grow behind the home near some trees. The plants were seized as evidence.

Deputies also discovered Lucas had a warrant out for his arrest, so after being released from the hospital he was booked into the Grant County jail.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Kennewick shooting under investigation

Kennewick police detectives continue to investigate the shooting Tuesday of a 16-year-old boy near downtown.

Several persons of interests were detained after the incident and interviewed Tuesday night at the police station, said Kennewick police Sgt. Ken Lattin.

No one, however, was arrested for the assault because detectives did not have enough evidence yet, he said.

Additional witnesses were expected to be interviewed Wednesday.

The teen was grazed in the head by a bullet and received a cut near his left ear. Neighbors called 911 just after 2 p.m. and reported hearing a "pop" sound and seeing the boy fall to the ground.

Officers had been in the area about 30 minutes earlier to investigate a report about a possible gang fight. The boy who was shot had been detained by police but was released five minutes before the shooting after officers determined the warrant for his arrest had been quashed.