2 plead innocent in fatal Kennewick robbery

KENNEWICK — Two suspects in the burglary that left Tyler Stock dead on the steps of a Kennewick home pleaded innocent Thursday in Benton County Superior Court.

A third suspect, Dwight Norwood, appeared in court but has not been charged.

Police and prosecutors allege that Armando Martin Rodriguez-Willis drove Stock, Norwood and Jorge Hernandez to 206 N. Buntin St., where they planned to rob Ramon Madrigal.

Jorge Hernandez, 20, of Pasco, pleaded innocent to attempted first-degree robbery with a firearm.

Judge Craig Matheson set bail at $250,000 after Prosecutor Andy Miller said it was warranted because of the seriousness of the charge and Hernandez's criminal history.

Hernandez has been in the Benton County jail since Jan. 12, when he was arrested on a Department of Corrections warrant.

Rodriguez-Willis, 20, of Kennewick, pleaded innocent to first-degree burglary and bail was set at $100,000.

Rodriguez-Willis, who limped into court, said he injured his Achilles tendon and needed to be out of jail for physical therapy four times a week and to see an orthopedic specialist.

The treatment is necessary to ensure he is able to work again and provide for his wife and child, he said.

"I'm not going to run," he said.

However, Miller argued that Rodriguez-Willis allegedly had driven the car in which other people got out with firearms. He also had not been honest with police, denying he knew where his car was and then calling a relative to have it cleaned to hide evidence, Miller said.

Norwood, 38, of Kennewick, had bail set at $100,000, although attorney Ryan Swinburnson argued Norwood has six children, is a longtime Benton County resident and has no history of serious offenses.

Miller argued there was evidence that Norwood had tried to get witnesses to give misleading information to police.

According to the Kennewick police request to hold Norwood, Hernandez said he traveled several times to Norwood's home to plan the robbery.

Hernandez knew details of the crime scene and the death of Stock, according to the document.

Hernandez said Norwood knew Madrigal, who was believed to have $70,000 in his house, and needed others to commit the burglary so he would not be identified, court documents said.

Norwood's phone had been used to call Stock minutes before he was killed and had been used to call Rodriguez-Willis before and after Stock was killed, according to the request for an investigative hold.

In the early morning of Jan. 11, dispatchers received a 911 call that someone was breaking into Madrigal's house.

They arrived to find Stock dead with his legs inside the door and a gun at his feet, according to police reports.

Madrigal told police that he heard a light knock at the door and after asking who was there several times, loaded his gun and unlocked the dead bolt.

That's when Madrigal claims an intruder wearing a blue bandanna over his face pushed the door open and came in. Madrigal said that as he began shooting, he thought he saw someone run south.

Court documents allege that in the brief time between the shooting and the arrival of police, Madrigal ran into his backyard and tossed a backpack over the fence that contained a scale and more than a pound of marijuana.

Inside the Buntin Street home, police reported finding drug paraphernalia and plastic bags of "green vegetable matter" in a freezer and elsewhere.

Madrigal, 28, has been charged in Benton County Superior court with possessing marijuana over 40 grams and possessing marijuana with intent to manufacture or deliver it.