2nd arrested in fatal reported Kennewick burglary

KENNEWICK — A second man was arrested Wednesday in connection with the apparent burglary at a Kennewick home that ended with Tyler Stock, 20, shot and killed, reportedly by a resident of the home.

Armando Martin Rodriguez-Willis, 20, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree burglary, according to the Kennewick Police Department. Judge Dan Kathren of Benton County District Court found probable cause to hold Rodriguez-Willis in jail for 72 hours with no bail.

The details of what happened Tuesday morning at 206 N. Buntin St. in central Kennewick remain unclear as police continue to investigate and limit the information made public.

A resident of the house called police at 1:21 a.m. to report a burglary in progress and before police arrived, a second call reported shots fired. Police arrived to find Stock, who did not live at the house, dead.

Later that day, police arrested Ramon Madrigal, 26, who lives at the house, on suspicion of possessing marijuana with intent to deliver.

"The motive for the burglary was clearly drug related with investigators finding drugs in a backpack which had been discarded outside of the residence along with drugs in the home," said a statement released by Kennewick police.

According to a court document, Madrigal told police that he shot an intruder carrying a gun who was forcing his way into his home.

Madrigal told police he took a backpack from his home and dropped it behind his backyard fence, according to the document. A police officer found the backpack, which contained more than a pound of what appeared to be marijuana and a scale, according to the document.

Tuesday night an autopsy was completed on Stock's body, but Benton County Coroner John Hansens said Wednesday that he could only say that Stock died of a gunshot wound.

He declined to release where Stock was shot or if he had been shot more than once, saying Kennewick police had asked him to withhold that information while the investigation continues.

Stock, Rodriguez-Willis and Madrigal all had been in court in recent years.

Rodriguez-Willis pleaded guilty in 2008 in Benton County Superior Court to a firearms charge after being arrested in connection with second-degree assault resulting in injury. He also was facing a March trial in Benton County for domestic assault.

Madrigal had served 30 days on a work crew after pleading guilty in 2006 to first-degree criminal trespassing, a charge that was reduced from residential burglary.

Stock pleaded guilty in November to threatening a Pasco High School student with a gun. Inside Stock's car police had found a loaded 9mm rifle, a loaded shotgun, a second shotgun, 66 grams of marijuana, a ski mask and a digital scale, according to police records.

He served one month in jail for possessing marijuana and fourth-degree assault.

Despite his police record, Stock was remembered by family and friends as a man who was easy to like. A Facebook site has been created called "R.I.P. Tyler Stock [1/11/11]" to remember him.

Herald readers who said they were friends or family posted at that he attended church, was loyal to friends and had a goofy sense of humor.

One poster said Stock was a former student.

"During the time I worked with him, he was trying his level best to do the right thing and make his life the best he could," the former teacher wrote. "I greatly admired Tyler's struggle to set his life on the right path."

Stock graduated from New Horizons High School in Pasco after earlier attending Southridge High School and playing basketball there.

Devin Jones, one of his former teammates, said Stock didn't let on that he was intelligent and creative, but that was Jones' impression after reading a paper that Stock had written for class.

Stock was well liked by students and a good teammate, Jones said.

-- Reporter John Trumbo contributed to this report.

-- Annette Cary: 509-582-1533;