Twelve people were displaced by a fire at Prosser Gardens Apartments, 900 Alexander Court, early Sunday morning, said Capt. Seth Johnson of the Prosser Fire District 3 in a news release.
Upon arrival around 4 a.m., firefighters found heavy smoke coming from an attic and flames at the rear of one of the apartments, Johnson said.
Responders were able to get the attic fire under control around 5:25 a.m., after residents were evacuated. Four apartments had heavy water damage.
One woman was taken to the hospital, but later was released, said Jeanne Jelke, executive director of the American Red Cross Benton-Franklin Chapter.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Responders had to cut power to the complex, so a temporary shelter was set up at Housel Middle School, where seven residents stayed Sunday evening, Jelke said.No information about the cause of the fire was given.
But Jelke said she was worried about the impact from the fire to the nonprofit helping victims.
“We are hoping that our compassionate community will again rise to the occasion and make donations locally to our disaster relief fund,” Jelke said.
Those wishing to help can drop donations off at 7202 W. Deschutes Ave., Kennewick, call 509-783-6195 or go to www.inwredcross.org.