Local

Cutting torch sparks small Kennewick fire

A Kennewick garage door company avoided serious damage Wednesday after sparks from a cutting torch caught some cardboard and rubber hoses on fire.

Firefighters from Kennewick, Richland, Benton Fire District 1 and Pasco were called about 12:50 p.m. after employees at Wayne Dalton Garage Doors and Openers, 440 N. Quay St., reported the fire. They were particularly concerned about the torch's oxygen and acetylene tanks.

Kennewick fire Deputy Chief Marvin Leonard said, "Tanks usually don't explode because they have a built-in relief valve."

Wayne Dalton employee Chad Zavarelli said he expected the business to reopen in the afternoon.

  Comments