Washington State Patrol arrests 161 across state for DUI during holiday

Washington State Patrol troopers across the state arrested 161 drivers suspected of being impaired by drugs or alcohol during the Christmas holiday weekend.

That is down from 194 arrests during the same period in 2010 and does not include arrests made by local sheriff's deputies or city police officers.

Oregon State Police troopers reported 28 DUI arrests, down from 36 DUI arrests during last year's 78-hour reporting period. More than half of the DUI arrests occurred Dec. 24.

WSP reported three fatal collisions during the holiday weekend, one of which involved drugs or alcohol. None of the fatal crashes were in Eastern Washington.

There were no fatal collisions during the same period in 2010.

Through Nov. 30, troopers have arrested 20,130 people on suspicion of driving under the influence. That's up about 1 percent from the same period in 2010, but falls within a normal range of year-to-year variance.

Preliminary information indicates one person died on Oregon roads -- in Eugene -- during the Christmas holiday period, according to the Oregon State Patrol.

OSP troopers also reported nearly 2,300 enforcement-related contacts, responded to 80 traffic crashes and assisted almost 200 disabled motorists.

Nationally, during December 2009, 753 people were killed in crashes that involved a driver or motorcycle operator with a blood alcohol concentration level of .08 or higher.

During the past decade in Oregon, more than 2,000 individuals have been killed and more than 10,000 people injured by a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Man arrested after high-speed police chase through Sunnyside

SUNNYSIDE -- A police chase Monday night through Sunnyside reached speeds of up to 100 mph and ended in the arrest of a passenger for allegedly possessing drugs.

Armando Chavez, 21, was caught during a foot chase after the car crashed into a ditch, according to a news release from Sunnyside Police Chief Ed Radder.

Officers and a police dog searched the surrounding area but were unable to locate the driver or a second passenger in the vehicle.

It all started at 10:38 p.m. Monday when a Sunnyside officer stopped a vehicle at Sixth Street and Lincoln Avenue. As the officer was walking up to the vehicle, it drove off at a high rate of speed, Radder said.

The officer followed the vehicle on Ninth, 11th, Franklin and Zillah avenues to Scoon Road, where the driver continued out to Van Belle Road. That's where the driver reportedly failed to negotiate the intersection and slid the car into a ditch, the news release said.

Speeds during the pursuit ranged from 40 to 45 mph in a residential area to 100 mph on Scoon Road.

The vehicle was found to be stolen out of Kennewick.

Chavez was arrested on suspicion of possessing methamphetamine and marijuana, in addition to several outstanding warrants.

Man reportedly has heart attack while at Gold's Gym in Kennewick

A Pasco man is in critical condition at Kadlec Regional Medical Center after reportedly having a heart attack at Gold's Gym in Kennewick early Tuesday.

The Gold's staff posted on the gym's Facebook page that Randy Germain is in a coma at the Richland hospital.

"The family has asked for all of your thoughts and prayers at this difficult time," the Facebook post said.

Pendleton officer on leave after alleged fight at bar

PENDLETON -- The Pendleton Police Department has placed one of its officers on administrative leave after an alleged bar fight.

The East Oregonian reports that the officer was off-duty when the fight was reported at The Hut Restaurant & Lounge.

Pendleton police Chief Stuart Roberts said the officer was placed on leave while an investigation is launched on what happened Saturday.

He said there are few witnesses to the fight and that the bar's owner didn't report what happened.

That task of investigating, though, will fall to the Oregon State Police, so Pendleton police can avoid conflicts of interest.