GRANDVIEW -- A child playing with a lighter started a fire in a home on 260 Puterbaugh Road near Grandview on Saturday, according to Yakima County Fire Protection District No. 5.
About $20,000 of damage was done, but the residents got out safely.
When firefighters arrived about 3:30 p.m., a second floor room was engulfed in smoke and flames, and smoke and flames could be seen coming through a window and the eaves.
Firefighters had the fire under control before it progressed to the structural members, according to the fire district.