A Kennewick home was destroyed late Sunday by a kitchen fire that started on the stove with cooking oil and appeared to be extinguished, but turned into a roof fire after smoldering in a concealed space in the attic.
Firefighters were called to the mobile home at 2206 N. Nevada Court around 8:30 p.m., when the stove fire started, said Kennewick Fire Marshal Mark Yaden.
The flames spread to the ceiling, but the resident was able to put out the fire before fire crews arrived.
Firefighters still responded and evaluated the wall and everything looked good, Yaden said. About an hour later, however, a fire broke out in the attic.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
"The fire traveled up the metal vent for the stove and ... got into the attic in a concealed space," Yaden said, adding that it smoldered in the insulation.
Kennewick fire crews, with help from Richland firefighters, were on scene most of the night battling the blaze.
"It was real tough," he said. "It's a low attic area ... and a very tight space."
The residents were renting and the property owner is out of the state on vacation, he said. The damage is estimated at $100,000 for loss of contents plus the structure, which is expected to be a total loss, Yaden said.
There were no injuries to the residents or firefighters.