Internal Revenue Service offers tips for newlyweds to consider

With the summer wedding season winding up, the Internal Revenue Service offers the just-married some invaluable tax tips to consider, including reviewing their changing tax status.

"The last thing newly-married couples are going to have on their minds is taxes," said IRS spokesman David Tucker II. "But here are some important steps they should consider to avoid stress at tax time months later."

The tips are:

w Notify the Social Security Administration Report any name change to the Social Security Administration so your name and Social Security number will match when you file your next tax return. The form is available at ssa.gov, or call 800-772-1213.

-- Notify the IRS if you move. Form 8822 from IRS.gov or call 800-829-3676.

-- Notify the U.S. Postal Service when you move.

-- Report any name and address changes to your employer(s).

-- Check your withholding. Use the IRS Withholding Calculator available on irs.gov to assist you in determining the correct amount of withholding needed for your new filing status.

-- Complete a new Form W4 online and give the form to your employer(s).

For more information about changing your name, address and income tax withholding, go to irs.gov.

IRS forms and publications are available at irs.gov or by calling 800-829-3676.