A Seattle man is being held in the Franklin County jail for allegedly ordering an attack of a Pasco man a year ago that caused him to lose vision in his left eye and his sense of smell.
Jorge Alberto Quintanilla, 50, was arrested on a warrant and booked into the Franklin County jail Tuesday. Bail is set at $100,000.
He is charged with first-degree assault and is expected back in Franklin County Superior Court on Tuesday.
According to court documents, Quintanilla is accused of getting Enrique Salas-Rubio to meet him at a shop in Pasco on July 29, 2010, then ordering two men there to attack him.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Tri-City Herald
Pasco police received a call around 3:30 p.m. that day about a man who reportedly had been hit in the face with a baseball bat and found Salas-Rubio semi-conscious on the ground at 205 S. Fourth Ave.
Salas-Rubio was flown to a Seattle hospital. When he returned home a few days later, officers were able to talk with him.
Salas-Rubio told investigators that two men assaulted him at the direction of Quintanilla, documents said.
Quintanilla reportedly called Salas-Rubio and asked him to go to the shop to get an electric saw. When Salas-Rubio showed up, Quintanilla was there with two men, who were said to be Quintanilla's truck drivers, documents said.
Instead of getting a saw, Quintanilla allegedly demanded money from the victim. When Salas-Rubio said he didn't have the money because he had to pay his vendors first, the two men got angry and one asked, "Who the hell is going to pay me my money?" documents said.
Salas-Rubio said he was looking at Quintanilla when he told them there was no money, and he saw Quintanilla nod at the men, as if telling them to go ahead, documents said.
The men reportedly attacked him, but he said he was able to get away and went in another room, pretending he was getting a weapon.
A few minutes after the men left the building, Salas-Rubio tried to leave but he said he was confronted by one man coming at him with a pallet, documents said.
Quintanilla reportedly blocked him when he tried to run back inside, and he was struck with the pallet and knocked to the ground.
Salas-Rubio said the second man hit him in the head with a 2-by-4 and the first man hit him repeatedly with a tire iron.
He said he was bleeding badly and losing consciousness and pleaded with Quintanilla to call an ambulance and not to kill him, documents said.
Salas-Rubio said Quintanilla gave the men keys and told them to leave, then threw the crowbar and 2-by-4 to the side of the building.
Quintanilla apparently then called 911 and asked for an ambulance, but Salas-Rubio said he heard Quintanilla give dispatchers the wrong description of the suspects and vehicle, documents said.
Salas-Rubio suffered broken bones in his face and lost the sight in his left eye and his sense of smell.
Kennewick woman accused ofsexually assaulting teen from Connell
A 36-year-old Kennewick woman is accused of sexually assaulting a teen boy from Connell since November.
Blanca Ester Negrete was arrested Tuesday by Kennewick police and booked into the Benton County jail on suspicion of communicating with a minor for immoral purposes and sexual assault.
Police began investigating Negrete after sexual conversations were heard on recorded phone calls between Negrete and the teen, said Kennewick police Sgt. Ken Lattin.
The teen was in the Benton Franklin juvenile detention center at the time the calls were made.
Negrete made a brief appearance Wednesday in Benton County Superior Court, but will return to court today to enter a plea.
She is being held in the Benton County jail on $100,000 bail and asked a judge to lower it Wednesday, but Judge Carrie Runge said that could be requested by her court-appointed attorney.
Prosser man accused of robbing man of cellphone, bus pass in Richland
An 18-year-old Prosser man was arrested after allegedly stealing a cellphone and bus pass from a Richland man and punching him in the head.
Cody M. Stickley was stopped by Richland police running on Stevens Drive near the Knight Street Transfer Station, said Capt. Mike Cobb.
Richland police were called to the bus station at 2:45 p.m. Tuesday after the 19-year-old victim reported he had just been robbed.
The victim described the suspects as having swastikas tattooed on their bodies, Cobb said.
The victim said he was approached by two men, and one suspect later identified as Stickley, demanded the victim give up his phone.
The Richland man gave Stickley the phone, then asked for it back. Stickley reportedly refused and said he would have to give the victim a beating before returning his property, Cobb said.
Stickley then punched the man on the side of his head and grabbed a bus pass from his hand and ran off, Cobb said.
Stickley, who has a swastika tattoo on the side of his head, was stopped by officers near the transfer station because he matched a description given by at least one witness and the victim, Cobb said.
The second suspect reportedly did not speak or participate in the assault. He was not arrested.
The victim's bus pass was found in Stickley's pocket, but the phone was not found.
Stickley was booked into the Benton County jail on suspicion of first-degree robbery.