Benton residents asked to report flood damage

Benton County Emergency Management is encouraging residents to report any damage to their property from last week's flooding along the Yakima River.

Reporting damage doesn't guarantee residents will receive compensation for uninsured losses, but it could help justify a request for disaster assistance programs. However, so far it doesn't appear flooding caused enough damage in Benton County to qualify for state or federal assistance.

The river crested at 14.78 feet at the Kiona gauge in Benton City last Wednesday. Flooding closed a section of Beach RV Park in Benton City, as well as several roads in West Richland and Richland.

Emergency Management has a short online damage assessment form available at bces.wa.gov. Residents also can call the agency at 628-2600 to report damage.