Want to remove your Christmas tree? You have some options

It's the new year, and you've resolved to take down your tree (and lose weight, exercise more, remove clutter ... ).

Wondering how to get rid of Christmas past? We've got some options for you:

-- If you would like to donate your tree to a trail maintenance project in Pasco, bring it to the Tri-Cities International Cross Country Running Course from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. today through Jan. 15. Be sure to have your tree clean of all ornaments and tinsel.

The course is north of the soccer fields at Road 36 and Argent Road. At a later date, the trees will be chipped and the mulch spread on the running track to improve its surface.

-- Boy Scout Troop 228 is providing a Christmas tree recycling service in Richland with a pickup area limited to north of the Yakima River plus Horn Rapids.

By Wednesday, e-mail your address and phone number to Troop228BSA@gmail.com or call 946-5253 to arrange for pickup. Be sure to leave your address and phone number.

Put your tree at the curb by 10 a.m. Jan. 8 and attach a check payable to Troop 228 in an envelope or plastic bag to the top of the tree with a rubber band or tie.

Suggested donation is $5 to $20. Let the size of your budget and your tree be your guide. Remove all tinsel, metal, nails or lights. Sorry, no wreaths or flocked trees.

All proceeds from the fundraiser pay for Scout summer camp fees.

-- Richland residents can take trees to the parking lots of the Richland pool, 1005 Swift Blvd.; to Badger Mountain Park, 350 Keene Road; or to the Horn Rapids Landfill, 3102 Twin Bridges Road and Highway 240. Trees will be accepted for free, through Jan. 9.

The landfill is open daily from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but will be closed today.

Trees will be chipped and the mulch available at the Horns Rapids Landfill beginning in late January. Before going to the landfill, call 942-7700 to check on the supply of mulch. Take your own containers.

-- Basin Disposal and Ed's Disposal customers can place their trees 2 feet to the side of their trash container on their regularly scheduled garbage day.

There's no charge for tree pickup within the city limits. There will be a fee for county residents or for trees taken to the transfer station at 1721 Dietrich Road, Pasco. Fees are based on the size of the tree and start at $15.

Transfer station hours are from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday.

For more information, call Basin Disposal/Ed's Disposal, 547-2476, or Franklin County Solid Waste, 545-3551.

-- Kennewick and Benton County residents can take their Christmas trees to the Waste Management transfer station at the corner of Ely Street and 27th Avenue, where they will be accepted for free through January.

Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Fridays and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.

The trees will be taken to the Richland landfill, where they will be ground up and given away as mulch.

For more information or to be sure the transfer station is open, call 586-7555.

To simply discard the tree, you can put it into the trash. But inside the city, all waste must fit inside the can, which might involve sawing it into pieces.

For information on scheduling a bulky item pickup, for a fee, call the Waste Management customer service line at 582-5121.

-- Sanitary Disposal customers in Hermiston can put trees out on regular collection days. There will be a fee for pickup, cost depends on which area you live in.

Trees also can be dropped off at the transfer station, 81144 Highway 395. There is a fee for disposal; the amount depends on the size of the tree, minimum is $5.

For more information, call Sanitary Disposal at 541-567-8842.

-- Walla Walla residents not recycling their tree through the Boy Scouts program can put their tree into their trash container.

It must fit inside the container. Or take it to the Sudbury Landfill Compost Facility. There is a minimum fee of $12.54.

The compost facility is open from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Saturday; closed on holidays. It's on Highway 12 outside the city limits, east of Walla Walla.

For more information, call the city of Walla Walla sanitation division, 527-4479.

-- If you live in Walla Walla or College Place, Boy Scout Troop No. 305 will pick up your tree if you send an e-mail to treepickuptroop305.net, or call Rudie at 509-525-7578 and leave your name, address and phone number.

Tree pickup is scheduled for Jan. 8-9. If necessary, arrangements can be made to pick up your tree earlier.

Money collected from the tree pick-up is used to send about 30 Scouts to summer camp.