The trial for a Benton City sex offender accused of having 93 pictures on his computer of children participating in sex acts has been delayed again.
William Michael McIntosh, 63, was set to stand trial Nov. 29 for possessing depictions of minors engaged in sexually explicit conduct, but his defense attorney requested the trial be continued to January.
He also is charged in Benton County Superior Court with possession of methamphetamine.
Dennis Hanson, standing in for McIntosh's attorney Norma Rodriguez, told Judge Bruce Spanner that McIntosh is scheduled to have surgery Tuesday for lung cancer.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
He said depending on how the surgery goes, his client might have to start chemotherapy or need other medical treatment.
Hanson requested the trial be continued to Jan. 18, but Deputy Prosecutor Anita Petra objected to the lengthy delay.
"I don't want to continue this case out. It's been continued five times," Petra said. "This is a very serious case and (McIntosh) is a sex offender."
McIntosh is a registered sex offender who was convicted in 2001 of first-degree child molestation.
His current case has been pending since March after Benton County sheriff's investigators seized McIntosh's computer and found pornographic images of pubescent and prepubescent children on the computer and an optical disk, court documents said.
Petra said she was ready to go to trial, but was willing to agree to a short continuance to Dec. 13 and requested a pretrial hearing Dec. 2.
"We'll be better equipped to understand the severity of Mr. McIntosh's condition and can assess it at that time," she said.
Judge Spanner sided with Petra, saying the case has been pending for a while and "I want to keep this moving on."
He said if McIntosh's surgery goes well, they can be ready to go to trial Dec. 13.
Hit-and-run driver faces up to a year in jail
A motorist involved in a hit-and-run accident in Kennewick who tried to report his truck was stolen admitted Thursday to leaving the scene of a crash.
Jonathan Michael Gross, 21, of Kennewick, pleaded guilty in Benton County Superior Court to hit-and-run with injury, a felony, and making a false or misleading statement, a gross misdemeanor.
Gross was driving a white 1996 Ford truck Aug. 21 when he rear-ended a car as he turned from 27th Avenue onto Highway 395.
He drove around the car and struck two more vehicles as he turned onto 19th Avenue trying to get away, court documents said.
He then parked his truck in the Cherry Hill trailer park and walked to a nearby Jack in the Box restaurant, where he called police and said his car had been stolen from Walmart, documents said.
However, he was identified as the driver of his truck by a passenger in his truck and a witness to the crash.
He later told police he had recently gotten a DUI and didn't want to get into more trouble, documents said.
Gross is expected to be sentenced Dec. 16. He is facing a sentencing range of six to 12 months in jail, and prosecutors have agreed to recommend the bottom of the range.
Man who threatened cop gets year in prison
A Pasco man will spend a year in prison for threatening to kill a Kennewick police officer.
Scott Beauchene, 47, entered a modified guilty plea Thursday in Benton County Superior Court to one count of felony harassment.
The Alford plea means Beauchene denied committing the crime but believed prosecutors had enough evidence to convict him.
He was arrested Oct. 2 by detectives with Kennewick Police Department's Criminal Apprehension Team after they were called to a hotel on the 4200 block of West 27th Avenue for a disturbance.
After being arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct, Beauchene threatened to kill one of the detectives, police and court documents said.
Defense attorney Sal Mendoza told Judge Bruce Spanner his client was extremely intoxicated at the time and officers had indicated they were going to take his dog to animal control.
"He's very attached to his animal," Mendoza said, adding that alcohol didn't help the situation.
Spanner agreed to follow the agreed sentencing recommendation and told Beauchene that "alcohol overcomes inhibitions you might otherwise not have."
He said Beauchene needs to make up his mind about how he is going to act before drinking, "then when you drink, it's not a problem."
Former Target worker's trial delayed 3 weeks
The trial for a former Target employee accused of skimming cash from the register to pay his personal bills was continued for three weeks.
Joshua Michael Miner, 20, was set to stand trial Monday, in Benton County Superior Court but his defense attorney asked for a delay until Dec. 13.
Attorneys said they were working to try to resolve the case before trial.
Miner is charged with second-degree theft with the aggravating circumstance that he was in a position of trust when he committed the crime.
He worked at the Richland Target between January and November 2009 and stole about $1,700 from various tills, court documents said.
Husband, wife to stand trial in shoplifting case
A husband and wife from Pendleton face Jan. 31 trials for stealing more than $675 worth of items from several stores at Columbia Center mall.
Andrew Terry and his wife, Felicia, both 19, pleaded innocent Wednesday in Benton County Superior Court to third-degree retail theft with extenuating circumstances.
They were arrested at the mall Nov. 11 by Kennewick police.
The couple are accused of stealing items from Macy's, JCPenney, Old Navy, Apricot Lane, Victoria Secret and Barnes & Noble, court documents said.
They remain out of jail after posting $5,000 bail.