Three small dogs died early Monday when a kerosene heater sparked a fire in a storage shed that spread to a neighboring property.
Kennewick fire crews responded about 4:30 a.m. to 113 E. 14th Ave., near Washington Street. Four people in the house got out safely after someone knocked on the front door to alert them to the blaze.
Kennewick fire Capt. Joe Terpenning said the fire was caused by a space oil heater that likely had been left on for the dogs inside a storage shed. Sunday's overnight temperatures dropped below freezing.
The flames extended to an add-on section of the home and an 18-foot travel trailer and a 16-foot boat and a shed next door, Terpenning said. The shed where the fire started and the trailer were destroyed.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Tri-City Herald
Siding melted and plywood burned on the exterior of the house, but firefighters were able to save it. He said if firefighters had been called a few minutes later, they would have been dealing with a fully involved house fire.
Terpenning said damage estimates for all of the property are $75,000 to $100,000.