Raymond Oord is being treated for burns at Harborview Medical Center after gasoline caught fire at Quality Fleet Services in Pasco on Thursday.
Oord of Pasco was carrying a five-gallon plastic bucket of gasoline when it apparently brushed against his pants, said Pasco Fire Chief Bob Gear. Static electricity ignited the gas and Oord was burned.
It's the same danger that people face when they fill gas cans in pickup beds with plastic liners that can create static electricity, Gear said.
Oord was listed Friday in serious condition in the intensive care unit, according to Harborview.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.