A 13-year-old boy has been arrested in the investigation of a fire that burned a fence and most of the backyard of a vacant home, police said.
The teen was identified by Kennewick police detectives investigating a July 26 arson at the home at 2011 S. Dayton Place. The dry backyard grass caught on fire from fireworks and the flames spread to a fence shared with a neighbor's property, police said.
The teen was arrested, then released to his parent pending a possible charge of first-degree reckless burning, police said.
Crews douse small fires in Franklin County
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Franklin County firefighters doused a small grass fire and a blaze that destroyed a tack shed Saturday.
Franklin Fire District 3 firefighters were called to 6601 Alder Road about 2:20 p.m. when a tack shed went up in flames.
The 10-by-15-foot shed, which contained horse supplies, saddles and grain, was a total loss, Chief Les Litzenberger said.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to get the flames under control. The fire came within 6 feet of a pump house, but the homeowner used a garden hose to keep the area around it wet, Litzenberger said.
The Pasco Fire Department was called to assist with the shed fire and a small grass fire earlier in the day, Litzenberger said.
About an acre of grass burned around noon at 2021 Road 64. It was quickly extinguished and didn't threaten any nearby homes.
The fire district, however, was thin after sending crews to help battle blazes in Coulee City and near Wallula Junction.
"We've been scrambling," the chief said.