Local

Restaurant owner expects quick recovery after Richland fire

A popular Chinese and Japanese restaurant in Richland might be closed up to two weeks after a Wednesday fire.

The blaze ignited on the stove of the Sakura Restaurant on Keene Road sometime around 9 a.m. Wednesday, said Richland fire Battalion Chief Brenda Rodgers.

Something was left on the stove during morning food prep and caught on fire.

Witnesses reported seeing black smoke coming from the roof and called 911, Richland fire Battalion Chief Brenda Rodgers said.

Firefighters saw smoke through the building, and the suppression system in the stove's hood activated.

The fire damaged the stove's hood, ducts and space around the stove, but it didn't spread into the neighboring business.

Firefighters aired out the light smoke. They finished up by around 11:30 a.m.

Repairs could cost about $10,000, Rodgers said.

The restaurant's owner, Peter Weng, said he hopes to reopen in less than two weeks.

"We are really grateful there was nobody hurt," Wang said.

Cameron Probert: 509-582-1402; Twitter: @cameroncprobert
  Comments