A fire in a radiologically controlled building at Hanford was quickly extinguished Monday afternoon.
A fan belt overheated and caught fire in the 291-Z building, a ventilation building in central Hanford, said Rae Weil, spokeswoman for Department of Energy contractor Mission Support Alliance.
The building was evacuated because of the loss of ventilation. However, a check of the building later showed no release of radioactive materials, she said.
The building is radiologically controlled because it has had radiological elements inside in the past.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.