Tips for landscaping and planning outdoor rooms by Brendan Doyle of PLANTERRA, a landscape planning and design firm in Washington, D.C.
• Think about the whole of your property as an extension of your indoor floor space and then subdivide it into outdoor rooms.
• Use a four-by-four-foot grid to subdivide your outdoor rooms in order to more easily visualize and plan room use, furnishings and plantings.
• Appropriate the view beyond your property instead of screening it out. Adopt visual decorative elements you see into your own design and furnishings.
• Pave the ground diagonally rather than in straight rows.
• Plant seasonal flowers so something is always in bloom.
• Position seating areas at a distance from the house back wall so that the distance is the same as the wall is high. This applies to decks also. Make your deck wide enough to sit comfortably.