The cover of the Tri-City Herald's Food & Wine section June 4 will feature ways to enjoy the sweet-tart flavor of tomatillos. Inside you'll find more recipes plus buying, cooking and health tips on a variety of food-related subjects.
Braised Chicken with Capers
1 pound new potatoes
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Tri-City Herald
8 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs (6 to 7 ounces each)
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
1/4 cup salt-packed capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
1. Clean and quarter the potatoes. Place them in a bowl of cold water and set aside.
2. Wash the chicken under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels. Remove excess fat and season each piece with a pinch each of salt and pepper.
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Quickly sear the chicken thighs until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side; taking care as the chicken will splatter and adjusting the heat as necessary. Remove the browned chicken to a plate.
4. Drain the potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Add them to the hot skillet, cut side down, and cook until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove them to a plate and cover to keep warm.
5. Add the shallot and capers to the skillet and quickly saute, about 1 minute. Stir in the chicken broth, vinegar and lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the chicken back to the pan, and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Cook the chicken until tender and a thermometer inserted into the meat reads 165 degrees, about 25 to 30 minutes. Add the browned potatoes to the pan during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
7. Arrange the chicken and potatoes on a platter. Taste the sauce to check the seasoning, then bring to a simmer and cook for an additional minute. Spoon the sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with the chives. Serve immediately.
Each serving: 387 calories; 28 grams protein; 21 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 21 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 93 milligrams cholesterol; 860 milligrams sodium.
Total time: 55 minutes.
Note: From Los Angeles Times test kitchen director Donna Deane