The weather is expected to be blazing hot toward the end of next week.
But something else is in the forecast too — an infusion of cool.
The 22nd annual Cool Desert Nights is planned June 25-28 in Richland, drawing hundreds of classic cars, street rods and motorcycles from across the Northwest, along with thousands of spectators.
The Tri-City Regional Chamber of Commerce puts on the event, which includes everything from a pancake breakfast to vehicle shows and cruises, street dances and activities for kids.
HAPO Community Credit Union is the premier sponsor. Lori Mattson, chamber president and CEO, said the event boosts the local economy, bringing in visitors who stay in hotels, shop and eat out.
It also brings in plenty of fun.
“It’s this long-standing tradition for the community. There are lots of great activities,” Mattson said. “With 22 years, there’s a lot of history.”
Here’s the schedule:
• 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Registration at the Red Lion Hotel, 802 George Washington Way.
• 5 p.m.: All-city cruise takes off from TRAC, 6600 Burden Blvd., Pasco. Cars may begin lining up at 4 p.m. The cruise ends at the Dairy Queen at 1313 Jadwin Ave., Richland.
• 6 to 9 p.m.: Show N’ Shine at the Richland Dairy Queen.
• 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Registration at the Red Lion Hotel, 802 George Washington Way, and 6 to 9 p.m. at the Uptown Shopping Center.
• 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Les Schwab Poker Run. Participants can start at any of the six local Les Schwab locations.
• 2 to 5 p.m.: Les Schwab Show N’ Shine at the Les Schwab Tire Center at 2825 Queensgate Drive.
• 7 to 9 p.m.: O’Reilly Auto Parts Participant Only Cruise. Spectators line the route to watch the registered vehicles roll by. The cruise takes off from the Richland Federal Building, 825 Jadwin Ave. For the route, go towww.tinyurl.com/cooldesertnightsroute
• 9 p.m. to midnight: Street dance at John Dam Plaza. Doors open at 8 p.m. The bands 3rd Date and Brothers Ride will perform. The event is for people 21 and older. Cost is $7 for a weekend wristband, available in advance through the chamber, or $10 at the door for the night.
• 7 a.m. to noon: Registration at the Uptown Shopping Center.
• 7 to 11 a.m.: Pancake breakfast at the Jefferson Park gazebo.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Show N’ Shine at Uptown Shopping Center and Jefferson Park. Music, vendors, concessions and family activities are planned. Judging is from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., a poker walk is from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and a Kids Zone will be open from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Noon: Legends Casino Slow Drags on George Washington Way. The Richland Fire Department is hosting the event.
• 3:30 p.m.: Awards ceremony at the Uptown Shopping Center.
• 9 p.m. to midnight: Street dance at John Dam Plaza. Doors open at 8 p.m. The band Eclectic Approach will perform. The event is for people 21 and older. Cost is $7 for a weekend wristband, available in advance through the chamber, or $10 at the door for the night.
• 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Come Try Autocross event benefiting the Tri-Cities Cancer Center. The Sand & Sage Sports Car Club is hosting the event at the Tri-City Raceway, 47615 Highway 224, Benton City. Cost is $10 for three runs. The event includes timed runs on a course marked with traffic cones; a valid driver’s license is required to drive or ride.
For more information on Cool Desert Nights, go to www.cooldesertnights.com.