MOSES LAKE -- Here is a preview of today's state 1A semifinal of the Connell Eagles vs. the Chelan Goats:
* Time, date, place: noon Saturday, Lions Field, Moses Lake
* Head coaches: Chelan, Darren Talley; Connell, Wayne Riner.
* Leagues: Chelan, Caribou Trail; Connell, South Central Athletic Conference East.
* Records: Chelan, 9-3; Connell, 11-1.
* Next opponent: Cascade Christian-Montesano winner.
* Last week: Chelan 27, Royal 17; Connell 20, Cashmere 9.
* Playoff appearances: Chelan 4, Connell 20.
* Last playoff appearance: Chelan, 2010 (lost quarterfinal); Connell, 2010 (lost title game).
* Deepest advancement: Chelan, semifinals (2009, lost to Connell 37-14); Connell, title game (1973, lost to Raymond 35-6; 2002, def. Elma 41-14; 2006, lost to Meridian 27-22; 2007, lost to Royal 28-16; 2009, def. Cascade Christian 28-7; 2010, lost to Cascade Christian 42-35).
* Previous playoff meetings: 2009, semifinals, Connell 37-14; 2010, quarterfinals, Connell 41-6.
* Chelan leaders: QB Michael Amsel Jr., junior (57-109-1--1,174, 17 TDs passing; 93-939, 11 TDs rushing); RB Cole Schwartz, senior (119-858, 15 TDs); RB Matt Peterson, senior (103-623, 6 TDs rushing; 28-597, 6 TDs); WR Matt Robinson, senior (19-420, 5 TDs).
* Connell leaders: RB/DB Matt Hadley, senior (232-2,019, 28 TDs); FB/DL Tyson Brook, senior (58-149, 7 TDs rushing; 17-230, 1 TD receiving); WR Kade Eppich, senior (45-807, 10 TDs); QB/LB Chandler Salisbury, senior (106-177-6--1,774, 18 TDs).
Notes: The Goats struggled to slow Royal's rushing attack last week, giving up 197 yards on the ground to the Knights. That is not a recipe for success against Hadley and the Eagles. ... Amsel Jr. continues to prove he is the real deal, as he brings a big-play threat to every down. He can sling the ball downfield -- showing off a monster arm at times against Royal -- and can also use his speed to pull away from defenders. ... The Eagles have ended the Goats' season the last two years and are attempting to reach a third consecutive state championship game. ... Connell will likely try to get its passing game going, after it struggled in the snow last week. Expect a bit more of a balanced approach to this game.