Here is a preview of the Grandview Greyhounds for the 2011 CWAC football season:
Coach: Rick Ramos (1st year, 0-0).
Last league title: Never.
Last playoff berth: 2005.
Home field: Rich Leenhouts Stadium.
OFFENSE POS YR HT WT
Derek Swearingen QB Jr. 5-10 220
Jose Castilleja TB Jr. 5-7 140
Michael Perez FB Sr. 6-1 180
Herman Herrera WR Jr. 6-2 180
Dominque Munoz WR Sr. 5-8 140
Erik Sauve WR Jr. 5-10 160
Edgar Delgadillo C Jr. 5-10 220
Jose Arreola G So. 5-8 215
Erik Castillo G Jr. 5-10 225
Jessie Baca T Sr. 5-8 245
Martin Torres T Sr. 5-8 250
Elmer Campuzano K Jr. 6-1 150
DEFENSE POS YR HT WT
Edgar Delgadillo DE Jr. 5-10 220
Jessie Baca DT Sr. 5-8 245
Martin Torres DT Sr. 5-8 250
Martin Sanchez DE Jr. 6-1 235
Erik Castillo LB Jr. 5-10 225
Anthony Perez LB Jr. 5-8 150
Michael Perez MLB Sr. 6-1 180
Jose Castilleja CB Jr. 5-7 140
Dominque Munoz CB Sr. 5-8 140
Angel Abarca SS So. 5-7 135
Erik Sauve FS Jr. 5-10 160
Salvador Escobedo P Sr. 5-10 155
Others to watch: TE Chet Bardwell, Jr., (5-8, 16); TB Anthony Perez; Athlete Joey Saenz, So. (5-8. 145).
* Ramos replaces head coach Jeremy Scroggins, who was 11-19 in three seasons for Grandview.
* The young squad returns six players who started last season on offense, and a seventh, Anthony Perez, who saw a lot of playing time at tailback.
* Swearingen passed for 1,342 yards and 18 touchdowns in 2010. However, he also tossed 17 interceptions.
* The Greyhounds are loaded with experienced receivers. Munoz (25 catches), Herrera (24) and Michael Perez (22) were all major targets. Herrera was named to the second-team All-CWAC unit at receiver, and was honorable mention at DB.
* Led by Michael Perez at middle linebacker, the Greyhounds also have six defensive starters back.
Ramos wants this team to be closer. So they spent the summer hanging around the school, not only working out, but also cleaning up the grounds by painting buildings, trimming hedges and picking up.
Grandview will need some improvement from an inexperienced line on both sides of the ball if there is to be success.