Here is a preview of the Selah Vikings for the 2011 CWAC football season:
Coach: Jeff Jamieson (12th year, 60-52).
Last league title: 1980.
Last playoff berth: 2009.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Tri-City Herald
Home field: Karl Graf Stadium.
OFFENSE POS YR HT WT
Shay Shattuck QB Sr. 5-11 210
Conner O'Malley RB Sr. 6-0 190
Mason Hall WR Jr. 5-10 165
Kody Ergeson WR Jr. 5-9 160
Daniel Hernandez WR Sr. 5-10 170
Mike Espinoza TE Sr. 5-11 145
Aaron Gibbs C Sr. 5-8 200
Cody Roberts G Sr. 6-2 240
Pedro Recondo G Jr. 5-11 245
Brandon Bertelsen T Sr. 6-2 185
Jay Skeen T Jr. 6-3 205
Daniel Hernandez K Sr. 5-10 170
DEFENSE POS YR HT WT
Shay Shattuck DE Sr. 5-11 210
Cody Roberts DT Sr. 6-2 240
Pedro Recondo DT Jr. 5-11 245
Andrew Au DE Jr. 5-10 175
Jessie Magana LB Jr 5-11 195
Conner O'Malley LB Sr. 6-0 190
Kody Ergeson LB Jr. 5-9 160
Rafael Arellano CB Jr. 5-10 150
Junior Marmolejo CB Jr. 5-6 150
Chris Weeks S Jr. 6-3 185
Daniel Hernandez S Sr. 5-10 170
Daniel Hernandez P Sr. 5-10 170
Others to watch: OL Au; DL Andrew Carney, Jr., (6-1, 185); DB Ergeson; DB Clay Forenpohar, Sr., (6-2, 160); DL Gibbs; RB Magana; WR Weeks.
* Hernandez is the go-to guy on this team. He starts at wide receiver and at defensive back. But his forte is as a kicker and punter, where he has received some preseason all-state notice.
* The Vikings return another two-way starter from last season in Roberts, who will anchor both sides of the line.
* Selah does have six defensive starters returning, including linebackers O'Malley and Ergeson and DBs Marmelejo and Hernandez.
* Shattuck is one of those rare guys who will start at quarterback and defensive end. Kennewick High grad Adam Carriker, now with the Washington Redskins, pulled that off seven years ago.
* Like Grandview and Prosser, Selah will play up in its nonleague contest, scheduled tonight at home against West Valley of Yakima.
Jamieson's biggest question this season will be how well his offense can move the football.
And while Shattuck has some experienced blocking up front, the skill position players will definitely have to step up.
If not, at least the Vikings have Hernandez, who can get three points or pin the opponent deep in its own territory with his foot.