Here is the preview of the Connell Eagles for the 2011 SCAC football season:
Coach: Wayne Riner (11th year, 109-26).
Last league title: 2010.
Last playoff berth: 2010.
Home field: Dennis Esser Field.
OFFENSE POS YR HT WT
Chandler Salisbury QB Sr. 5-9 180
Matt Hadley RB Sr. 5-11 210
Tyson Brook WR Sr. 6-1 240
Kade Eppich WR Sr. 6-3 175
Austin Huber WR Sr. 5-9 160
Ryan Heinen TE Sr. 5-10 185
Stefan Davidson C Jr. 5-11 185
John Mendez G Sr. 5-11 205
Gregory Heinen G So. 6-0 200
Kennan VanHollebeke T Sr. 6-4 235
Cole Vanderbilt T Sr. 6-4 280
Alfredo Rodriguez K So. 5-10 160
DEFENSE POS YR HT WT
Kelton Syrie DE So. 6-3 195
Cole Vanderbilt DT Sr. 6-4 280
Tyson Brook NG Sr. 6-1 240
Kennan VanHollebeke DE Sr. 6-4 235
Chandler Salisbury LB Sr. 5-9 180
Ryan Heinen LB Sr. 5-10 185
Stefan Davidson LB Jr. 5-11 185
Skye Perkins CB Sr. 5-10 185
Austin Huber CB Sr. 5-9 160
Matt Hadley SS Sr. 5-11 205
Kade Eppich FS Sr. 6-3 175
Eric Williams P Jr. 5-10 180
* The Eagles didn't lose much off of last season's state runner-up team, returning plenty of talent on both sides of the ball.
* Salisbury (linebacker), VanHollebeke (offensive line) and Hadley (running back/safety) are all three-year starters and will be leaned on heavily this season.
* Brook is moving from the offensive line to a wide receiver/tight end position, where he can put his diverse skill set to better use.
* VanHollebeke is switching from defensive tackle to defensive end this season.
* Kade Eppich draws the duty of replacing older brother Kraymer and Bryant Andersen as the go-to option on the outside.
The Eagles are once again locked and loaded and heavy favorites to not only win the league again, but also make a run at the state title.
With Hadley in the backfield and returning starters on both sides of the ball, it certainly is possible.
One area of concern for Connell is special teams, which has been a tremendous asset the past decade, but is young and inexperienced this season.
The Eagles also don't have a ton of depth, and will need to be blessed with health to get back to the promised land.